smoke alarms past best?

Relly has 2 mains interlinked dicon photoelec smoke alarms that keep going off more than once abt 9.30/10pm every day?!

Suspect tis time to renew?

Is this a recognised indication/symptom tho? Or a feature? TIA

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Our mains ones still have a battery inside. Time to Replace. Instructions say to kill power before removing unit from base.

Reply to
Davey

/ Davey

--Davey./Q

Maybe but why 9.30/10 pm?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

That I can't answer. Why would they be linked to any particular time, whatever the reason? Is there a power dip at that time, caused by something large coming on? Only trying to think of possible causes for symptoms.

Reply to
Davey

no. Relly goes to bed at 10 say - just watching TV, no open fires or anything. Theres a (recently serviced) ceramic coal effect gas fire but that's not always been on when this happens..

Yeah the time's the oddest bit....

Shurely they have a more usual annoying warning "bip" when batt low rather than a full "ALARM"?

Part of prob so far is I don't know which one (there are 2 interlinked) is the one triggering (falsely it seems) & causing *both* to sound...

I could disconnect one and see what happens but tempted to just dump em and replace... once you don't trust 'em or switch 'em off what's the point?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I have a feeling that insects can trigger optical alarms by crawling into the sensor. As for the timing, perhaps that's when insects get hungry, or horney.

Anyway I have always had the occasional false alarm for no apparent with optical units, that don't seem to occur with ionisation types, and when SWMBO asks why I always say "spiders"

Reply to
Graham.

Jim K laid this down on his screen :

Smoke alarms know nothing about time, it will be due to temperature change of the battery, as the fabric of the building warms or cools down and the voltage out of the battery changes..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

or - someone/something is transmitting about this time and upsetting the electronics. We had a phone which used to tinkle at a fixed time each day. Eventually, I realised that an SAA Jubo was passing quite low overhead, much lower than any other plane. this was in the days when they had to fly non-stop to Sa and carried a lot of fuel.

Reply to
charles

These are wired interlinked not radio interlinked...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

That would make them go off at about 3am.

DAMHIK...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris