slug problem in kitchen

Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best course of action is?

I've salted and removed the ones I can find, but can't see where they're coming in from or what they're eating, I just see the trails left.

by the numbers I'm finding I guess the little blighters are breeding, so there will be eggs somewhere.

Does this mean I've got somewhere damp where they hide?

any suggestions (serious please! )

You are usually very kind and helpful here.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

I think there are some grils somewhere here, too...

Either that, or they're coming in direct from outside...

What is your kitchen floor made of? What sort of house (age, construction) do you live in?

Oh! *Thank you*, dedics! You're so kind!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

put up a sign saying 'no slugs'?

Oh yeah, they'll do that.

probably outside, it's unlikely they would lay eggs indoors....they are using your house as a cefeteria.

possible though not likely, they usually come under the door, through cracks or any tiny holes, and they don't need moisture to travel.

Fill in any small gaps with silicon sealant, put down slug pellets (available from B&Q) and follow the trails of slime to find out their way in, what they are seeking (obviously food, but don't imagine that they only eat lettuce - the ones around here are partial to meat too) and remove it, check under the sink or behind cupboards for a leaking pipe, any signs of moisture will make life easier for them...

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

The concrete floor area by the kitchen door in my house was where my slugs where coming from. On further inspection there was a flaw in the concrete which had cracked and a small hole was revealed when I took of the skirting board at the back of the door and the blighters where coming in through the outside underneath the door sill.

Not saying this is where yours are coming from,but check your door frame for rot around the bottom half? or possible they might be getting in behind the sink area or through a air brick if you have one? also check the perimeters of the brickwork/skirting/floor for tell tale signs.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Damn forgot to add put salt down around the door area first for a couple of nights and see if they still appear,if they do then you can eliminate the door area as they wont dare cross the salt and then try another area some where they are more frequently found.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thank you guys (and gals!)

IT is a concrete tiled floor in the kitchen, built about 25 years ago (house is 1930s era), I'll check under the cabinet plinths today (ewwwww wonder what else I'll find!)

There were some very useful suggestions in amongst your replies.

dedics (who is a gal herself,which is probably why I find slugs so yucky)

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

You could try the vacuum cleaner on blow to push quite a bit of salt under the skirting board all round the room. Slug traps outside (I undertsand pellets are very toxic to pets and wildlife), and general dryness across land around your house (well drained paths, close cropped lawns and vegetation), wet, unkept gardens are going to be slug-central.

Reply to
dom

We get one every so often and I'm sure that it comes in attached to the long hair of our cat. Just another source of them.

Salt is our solution.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

We had problems with them as well. Never found where they were coming in but recently had cavity wall insulation done and - no more slugs

Bill

Reply to
bill

bit extreme, but slugs hate copper, I use copper tape around my vegetables, and haven't had one slug yet this year.

course it depends if you want copper tape around your back door, but you could put it around the inside of the door frame so it is only visible when the door is open?

Reply to
Harris

They're massing in the cavity, preparing for a slithery all-out final attack!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Ian & Hilda Dedic =E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

hello, friend

You''d better keep the kitchen clean and ventilate everyday, while you perish these siugs with envirmental medicament.

hope you have find some better and available ways.

Andy

Reply to
andyxiaxiang1

They've been known to come through waste pipes, even trough the U bend.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Ian & Hilda Dedic writes

We seem to have cured what was a serious kitchen and washroom slug problem by sealing all the entrances we could think of, this included door frames to walls, brush strip to the door, pipe holes through the walls, cracks between the floor slab and the wall, miscellaneous disused holes, this is between the kitchen and the washroom and the kitchen and the outside. I think this was a couple of years back, and we've been slug free since then . . . until a couple of weeks back when some baby slugs were spotted coming out of the butler sink overflow, that has been filled with salt since then and no more spotted. They seem to come out about 2300 to 2400 if you want to stay and see where they're coming from. Good luck.

Reply to
bof

In message , Phil L writes

They definitely laid eggs indoors here, as well as using it as a cafeteria, the cat food seemed popular.

Reply to
bof

Yes, this is when spotted ours,I'll look again tonight, I do keep the kitchen reasonably clean, and the copper tape sounds like something to try too.

thanks everyone.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

and as a love shack. Nausiating to see them writhing in the middle of the floor, worse if you tread on them with bare feet. And that stagnant water smell that their slime gives off is a give away you have got them.

Reply to
marvelus

Yes we had a problem (still do sometimes) and once found just such a love shack (loads of the buggers at it) under the washing machine which had a very slow leak somewhere, just enough to keep the floor beneath it slightly damp. Nice.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from marvelus contains these words:

Bare feet's yukky, but finding that the kitten's too incompetant to catch anything other than slugs and has lined a row up on the doorstep for you is not best done with socks on. Slug puree between the toes revolts.

Reply to
Guy King

I have the same 'problem'. Mine usually appear in the dead of night, so I only see them at 2am on a Saturday morning.

My solution? Just leave them. They're gone by the morning :)

Reply to
Paul S