[Slightly OT] - is there telephone s/w out there

In message , Bob Mannix writes

Because it wouldn't work if I go into e.g. the pcb lab

When I say move around, I mean into other rooms

Reply to
geoff

========================================= There is (was) a Dos version which will probably work with XP Dos, although it will involve more setting up.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

't really what I'm looking for

Reply to
geoff

In message , John Rumm writes

Do they have the range - about 10m ?

That's where I'm at ATM

My previous wireless phones were big enough to cradle in the neck comfortably, DECT ones all seem physically too small

Reply to
geoff

If you end up with one, please report back here. I'm interested to know if it's any good...

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

The DECT bit will be more than that. The bluetooth side depends on how powerful it is but 10m ought to be doable...

Indeed - most of them are too diddy.

Reply to
John Rumm

The same situation applies when you use the headset on a mobile phone... data pop out the end of the bluetooth stack and either have to be transcoded or cycled through the analogue domain before going into the GSM stack.

The on ear bluetooth style ones that are actually DECT based are probably the best solution. Only one wireless technology before going back to POTS

Yup same here. The DECT delay is not too bad - but the GSM one I find quite obstructive to proper conversation.

Reply to
John Rumm

Windows comes with dialer.exe

Reply to
OG

In message , OG writes

I've just found it !

It couldn't find it before because I typed "dialler.exe" with two "l"s

Reply to
geoff

Cordless means landline.

I dunno who would have one - Argos perhaps?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Argos have lots, but alas their descriptions don't tell you which have a

2.5mm headset socket (although I expect most do).
Reply to
John Rumm

They don't.

A few of the Panasonic and Binatone models did, and I have a Doro phone that does - but it's a suprisingly rare feature.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I have seen it on a reasonable number (although they often hide it behind a rubber plug making non obvious). Having said that I have not really looked at them for some time, so it may be practices have changed. FWIW, I have NTL branded one here that does...

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , dmc writes

I ordered one today - lets see how it fares

I tried the headphones and am disappointed with the range

Reply to
geoff

Don't think most do. Think you'd look for hands free option.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My bargain BT Glide arrived this morning. I have to say there's no way I'd pay the full retail for it ( I got this one off ebay cheap - used, with a slight fault...the earpiece speaker doesn't work, but that doesn't bother me as I shan't be using it without a headset ). The build quality is iffy and the menu buttons seem rather over-sensitive and tend to cancel your action when you're knee deep in sub menus - but to be fair the phone might have seen a lot of use ( AKA knackered ). It's a slide phone too, which isn't my favourite design. If I were buying new I'd go for the Siemens.

Anyway, I switched on my Sony bluetooth headset, set the phone up in discovery mode and entered the headset pin when prompted - and Bob was my uncle.

Now, I know the sound quality of the headset is superb when paired with my mobile phone - but with the Glide there is a constant background hiss. It's not unbearable by any means - just low-level white noise, and it doesn't seem to affect the quality of the speech. It also can't be heard on the other end of the line. The caller sounded clear and distinct otherwise and said that I did too. In switching between the headset and the old standard phone they reported little discernible difference in sound quality and no hint of echo via the headset.

The range is very good. Leaving the phone on its charging cradle I got around 50 yards away before the signal started to degrade...and that was through one wooden and two brick walls plus a 7 ton metal trailer. The quality of the headset may make a difference in this respect, but it's by no means an expensive model.

For the price I paid for the setup I'm extremely pleased, and more than convinced that the technology works.

If you're the type of person who spends a lot of time on the phone then I'd recommend spending some time choosing a bluetooth headset. I have a Sony Akono HBH-608 and HBH-300 - the latter being the more expensive model with a 'behind the ear' weighted clip. It's a great deal bulkier than the 608, but far more comfortable to wear for any length of time - but the sound quality is much the same as the 608. For occasional use I'd be inclined to look for a headset that can be worn on a lanyard and be quickly fitted to the ear without too much faffing about ( particularly if you wear glasses ).

As far as I'm concerned I'm very pleased with the technology, and shan't be lifting that old handset much anymore.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard