Slight leak behind WC bowl

I have a very slight leak - maybe 4 drops a day - behind my WC, where the waste-pipe attaches to the bowl.

I'm wondering if it is possible to seal this, eg with silicone, without dismantling the joint?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Is it definitely a leak and not just condensation?

Reply to
Slider

Timothy Murphy coughed up some electrons that declared:

Is it definately the waste pipe and not the flush coupling? I had the same problem and I thought the same as you, until I looked really closely - and it turned out to the the cistern pipe to bowl seal was dodgey. The water was dripping down onto the waste pipe then off that onto the floor.

In any case, stuffing it with silicone should be fine for such a tiny leak - there's little pressure. It's best if you can get the silicon to go into a recess rather than smearing it over the surface, if possible.

Obviously, ensure the area is degreased and clean and dry before applying and leave it for enough time to go off before using the loo.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I remember somebody on here advocating pouring PVA glue solution into the toilet bowl overnight, to cure a very slow leak like this with miniumum aggro. Never tried it myself but it may be worth a try!

david

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Sounds interesting ... I wonder if anyone can endorse this suggestion?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

How does the waste pipe attach to the bowl - is it a plastic Multiwik collar?

so, and you are sure this is leaking and not the flush as suggested, then if you feel slightly brave I would give it a wiggle and a twist to try to re-seat it.

Reply to
John

Yes, just squeeze some Plumbers Mait non-setting putty into any gap(s) around the joint.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

Wonderful stuff! Used some this very afternoon for exactly that problem.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And I have used some FT101 for just that purpose. I wouldn't use Plumbers' Mait for that as it doesn't IMHO have the flexibility required.

Reply to
Rod

But its non setting, so it must remain flexible. Isn't that its benefit?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, I'm almost certain that is what the plumber used 25 years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check the flush and if it's not that I'll try what you suggest.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

IME it's a bit like window putty - it firms up quite a lot. Get into an old PM joint and it still won't be hard - but it sure ain't soft and flexible. Sufficient for the gap between two nice hard things like copper and heavy lead or ceramic. But not plastics and rubber.

Plus, it certainly used to affect plastics - seems to make them deteriorate, albeit quiet slowly. Can't really remember, but didn't it say something of the sort on the tin?

Reply to
Rod

Yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used Plumbers Mait to seal the rubber flange gasket where the cistern inlet pipe goes into the ceramic toilet bowl. That was fifteen years ago. It was still sealing it, and soft and flexible, when I installed a new toilet bowl several weeks ago. And I was able to wipe it off and re-use the gasket without it since the new toilet pan inlet seemed a better fit for the gasket .And it is still after fifteen years sealing the gasket in the joint/overlap between the plastic outlet pipe and the metal drain pipe. If, rather than just plugging a gap as a precaution, it's actually stopping a low pressure leak, then I think the leak it's stopping also keeps it soft, if you see what I mean. Anyway, either way, it seems to work long term.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

Several contributors have suggested some sort of sealant to be applied. I respectfully suggest this is not such a good idea as it will only trap nasty water between each lip of the Multiwik seal as each will progressively fill up. At less than a fiver (I think - and if it is within the scope of the OP then I would suggest replacing it as it may have been distorted - or be damaged. I believe they are usually very reliable - ideally the first ring of seals should stop the leak - subsequent ones are for insurance! If you apply gunge behind the Multiwik then the whole thing traps water within it.

Reply to
John

As the OP, I could afford a new Multiwik, but I could not afford my wife's reaction if my "improvement" disimproved things.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

The awkwardness of replacing the rubber thing would have been unwelcome. The joint between the downpipe and the cistern is solid and sound - and I do not wish to dismantle.

Reply to
Rod

I think you will be delaying the problem rather than fixing it - after all no-one would suggest trying to fix a leaking compression joint by pasting stuff on the outside. I realise the pressures are different - but you are trapping foul water inside the seal - it don't seem right!

Reply to
John

Don't think there is much space between the fins - I tried to fill it as much as possible. You might be right - but I shall deal with it if it occurs.

Reply to
Rod