slates not lying flat

Could someone please answer the following problem we have? We are slating the sides of dormer with 12x8 Welsh slates. As we are nearing the top we are cutting the slates shorter to maintain the 3 1/2 inch exposure we have on the rest of the slates. This is causing the top four rows to stick out at the bottom when nailed.

What method prevents this from happening?

Reply to
scunner

The message from "scunner" contains these words:

Dummy battens, or pack up with slate offcuts.

Reply to
Guy King

You probably need a slightly thicker batten to compensate.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

grateful for your information .We are in Scotland and the slates are nailed on to the sarking as opposed to the battens elsewhere, i have already spaced the first of the four rows but was unsure if this was the correct method,and thought i would ask before doing the rest, but imagined slaters must pack the slates at some stage to get them to lie, to enable them to be nailed flat.

Reply to
scunner

The gauge or as you call it (exposure) is to close. The gauge should be 5.

3/4" tail to tail. The nail holes in the slates 8.3/4" from the bottom of the slate.

The other main factor, did you sort the slates for thickness. Start off at the bottom with the thick slates then medium and finish with thin at the top.

Reply to
keith_765

Thanks keith.Sorry didnt really explain the total story .Slates were bought as 12x8 but were centre holed(never used in the north of scotland, and the slates came from cental scotland) with only one hole obviously,so lost the first couple of inches due to the fact that i would not have had the proper cover laying them as 8x12 ie4 1/2 would have left me with less than 3 1/2 inches cover due to the centre hole,so slates were actually fitted as 8x10 which has a gauge or as i call it exposure of 3 1/2 inches.Hope this explains better.I did actually lay them thick ones first and keep the thinner ones for higher up.I actually removed the top four rows that i had cut and used battens and they are now lying perfectly.Thanks for your advice,all very relevant.Cheers.

Reply to
scunner