Simple shower basin leak question

The ring around the plug hole has been a bit loose ever since I've been in this house (~5 months) and the other day I kicked it out of the way in annoyance as it stuck to my heel.

SWIMBO then had a shower and the room (ground floor) was like a swimming pool - well quite a lot of wet anyway.

Here is a picture.

There is little for the ring to hold against unless I use something in the whole recess but presumably if I used some sealant just around the plug where I've wedged the gaffa tape (which works by the way), then I still end up with ring with a propensity to loosen?

So what is the simple solution and what compound should I use? I've got a tube of weather-proof glue but I suspect that might create an issue in the future. Thanks

Reply to
AnthonyL

Nothing? Hopefully unintentionally.

Reply to
AnthonyL

The simple solution is to use some silicone sealant to glue everything back together. I guess that's what the person did who sold/rented the house to you. It worked for 5+ months!

Replacing the trap is the permanent but not so simple solution. What access would you have? If the ceiling is damaged anyway, you might consider cutting a hole in it to gain access to the trap. The insurance might then cover the repair and redecs cost downstairs.

and what compound should I use? I've

Reply to
GB

Yes, unintentionally. I think there is hope for your shower, if not for my addled brain!

Please see my other post.

Reply to
GB

What's holding the little circular grid in place? It looks to me as if it's been assembled in the wrong order. Surely the grid should be holding down that ring. Undo the screw holding the grid in place (I'm assuming there's a central screw there somewhere); remove the grid; clean crud off both ring and grid; place the ring into position; replace the grid; replace the screw and tighten, adjusting the position of ring and grid as you go, to keep both centrally positioned.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It is a ground floor shower. Not much wiggle room without dismantling the whole base.

But what would the original design/installation have had?

just standard silicone then?

Reply to
AnthonyL

On some/most of these, there's a captive nut that the screw tightens into. Unfortunately, that can drop out far too easily. At which point you are back to dismantling the waste.

I can't see a screw, so maybe the circular grid is threaded?

I am concerned that, either way, the trap might drop when whatever is currently holding it is unscrewed.

Reply to
GB

If you mean the central plug hole then that is cylindrical and presumably pushed on to the drain piping. I'm reluctant to disturb it.

There is no screw - I think it is a push fit.

The hole diameter of the outer ring is about the same as the central plug hole diameter. If the central plug hole was used to hold the ring down then the central plug would sit proud. It may have been intended to sit flush but without trying to lift the plug assembly (ie the central bit) I don't know.

As it is the plug hole sits slightly below the outer ring.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Then seal it in place with silicone.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I suspect that maintenance was not a priority when it was put in, so the trap was installed on the base, only then was that installed and connected to the pipework in a trench under the floor, and then the whole lot was filled in and tiled over. And not a thought given to the long term, just as long as it looks good enough to get paid.

So, it looks like you are going to have to bodge it.

I'd pay for a premium brand specifically for showers, eg dow corning 785.

Reply to
GB

Like some other posters, I am a bit confused by the geometry.

Shortly after I finished fitting my shower, the plug-hole assembly came loose, I think because the plastic nut on the underside pinged over one thread. As a temporary fix rather than cutting a hole in the ceiling below, I made sure that space between the flange and the shower tray was as dry as I could reasonably achieve, then mixed up some araldite and warmed it until it was runny, and cast it into the space so that it bonded the flange to the tray. I didn't use silicone because I was not confident that I could fill the space effectively without leak paths. (Note that my geometry was *not* like yours, it was as if your "ring" was an integral part of the drain hole, like a large mushroom head).

So I think in your case I would go for the "silicone instead of gaffer tape" as others have suggested, but thought my fix might be of interest to others. I called it temporary, but it has been fine for 25 years. The araldite has darkened a little but remains firmly bonded to the chrome and to the plastic tray.

Reply to
newshound