Simple question about energy used.

Not in the context of this thread it isn't.

Reply to
dennis

remember if 'g' varies so will the 'weight' of a 1kg mass..

So as long as you have an accurate scale, it doesn't really matter :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Scale as in "spring", or a proper balance?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I salute you - at first I thought that they would not bite but ....

Reply to
Ghostrecon

even if its just to say that he won't

Reply to
geoff

I haven't replied to ARW at all.

Reply to
dennis

Still completely wrong.

m g h

Depends if 120Kg is the weight or the mass, but let's assume it's the weight and dvide it by 9.81 to get the mass which would be

12.23Kg

Then multiply by G gets you to120 (yes I know) then x 5 meters equals

600 and thats Joules because both metres and kilograms are SI units.

What that is in watts depends on how long it takes you to lift it.

Reply to
Neil

Only if 120Kg is the mass not the weight. If 120Kg is the weight then it's 600 Joules and any calculation is independent of gravity.

Reply to
Neil

The number is ok, just three orders of magnitude out ;-)

kg would be mass not weight....

Work done is force x distance, so 1200N x 5m = 6kJ near enough.

Indeed, but that is power, not energy required.

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends on if you want to know the mass or the weight in the true sense... a spring will let you work out the second, the balance will factor local gravity out of the equation for you ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, quite :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

And I'm not sure why he thinks dividing a mass by an acceleration gets him weight.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I would bet that the OP was refering to weight not mass. Who in everyday usage (apart from a physicist) would ask about lifting a mass unless they didn't understand what one was.

Reply to
Neil

It doesn't and I didn't say it did. Dividing the weight by the acceleration does. Back to school for you.

W = m g where W = weight (N) m = mass (kg) g = acceleration of gravity (m/s2)

so

mass = weight / acceleration.

Reply to
Neil

When you say 120Kg are you talking about the weight or the mass?

120Kg is what the weighing scale would tell you it weighed, assuming graivity was normal round your house :-)
Reply to
Neil

And with normal spring or load cell type scales, that would also be the mass of the object as convention is that at 1g (9.81 m/s2), as is normal(ish) at the Earth's surface, scale weight ( kgw) is equal to mass ( kgm). That's what I was taught in school, at least.

120kgm gives 1177(120*g) Newtons force on the scale, aka 120kgw. On the moon, where g= 1.63 m/s2 (approx.), then a spring scale calibrated for Earth would read 20kgw. All approximately.

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

Are you related to dennis?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And when you go back to school take me with you because i hadn't realised that spring balance machines were normalised for earths graivty and so weight and massmeasured by them on the earth's surface is essentially the same.

Reply to
Neil

turns out i was wrong too but less so.

6 Kjoules, give or take.
Reply to
Neil

oh I believe you I really do (uncrosses fingers)

shame you reply to graham had nothing to do with grahams post :-)

Reply to
Ghostrecon