Silver plating.

That's something new that I've learned. I presumed that it was like the steel/copper/nickel/chrome combination where each bonds to its neighbour more successfully than just putting the first one and the last one together. Please don't tell me I've got that wrong too and that the reason the chrome fell off the bumpers of 1950s cars had nothing to do with plating chrome directly to steel.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Silver *is* a better conductor than copper, just significantly more expensive.

Read up on the Manhatten project where the initial uranium enrichment strategy was based on electromagnetic separation. They borrowed silver from Fort Knox for the Calutron windings, because copper was such a strategic war resource for ammunition.

The Richard Rhodes book is a good read.

Reply to
newshound