Silicone sealant

We are talking about gaps of 5/8" here are we not?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

If you lose your bubble, do you become level headed or not ?

Reply to
BigWallop

Troll? No.

I've never used silicone before. So am I to assume that 5/8" is way too much? Why?

Reply to
Graeme

I'm sorry about all that.

If there is a 15mm gap from the bath to the wall you will need to put something in there. The silicon is a liquid until it sets it will flow down the wall. It will fill smallish gaps as it is quite viscous and sets fairly quickly. A strip of 1/2" wooden (or plastic or some other sort of) beading will do.

Stick it on with silicon if you like.* Then run a stream of silicon along the now diminished gap.

Make sure the outlet is large enough for the strip you want to lay, by cutting the nozzle at a suitible diameter and cut it with a slight angle.

Each time you run a bead, wipe the nozzle clean until you get the hang of it. When using the gun, remember it will keep coming out after you have stopped squeezing -so have some newspaper or a rag handy.

Do a dry run or two to get the hang of the angle you want and rest part of the nozzle on one edge as you go. If you think you might louse it up, run a strip of tape either side of where you want the stuff to end up and rip it off after it will leave an excellent edge if you do it quickly and remove it straight away.

Going too slowly is the surest way to foul up.

Good luck and have fun.

*You'd better not. Use No Nails -or a couple of tacks with the silicon. one more thing, buy the best mastic gun you can find. The cheapest ones are really naff and most of them are too small for the longer cartridges.
Reply to
Michael Mcneil

No, it's not at all too much, it's fine. RTV silicone as sold by the sheds for bathroom use is a thick gel like substance, you can easily fill an inch gap by overlapping beads of it.

Reply to
Grunff

You don't fit double glazing by any chance ?...... !

Reply to
Jerry.

The bloody fool had the cheek to tell me that he had me in his ignore files. As if I could care. At least I don't have to ride herd on the cowboy answering my posts.

I bet you can tell which house is his by looking at the doors in his street.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil