Shower extraction - downwards?

I will be installing a shower against a wall in a room that currently has no mechanical extraction. I'm going to put a SELV fan adjacent to the top of the enclosure. Directly beneath it, a foot or so off the floor, is a large air brick. As an alternative to braying another hole through the gable end cavity wall, is it practical to take a rectangular duct down the wall, to exit through the air brick? Can vapour be ducted downwards and outwards like this? If it can, would it be better to have the fan at the bottom, where the brick is, and the duct inlet at the top?

Any help that the group can provide will be much appreciated. It will save me a lot of faff if I don't have to start braying more holes.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

What's "braying" is this a regional word?- not heard it before.

It should work and you could have the fan either end. I would ensure that any condensate will run out without causing damage though.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

"Braying" is indeed a regional word. Like "Stoothing" ;-)

Point taken about condensate. The convenience is provided by the existing hole, rather than the air brick in it. I could if necessary "bray" out the air brick and replace with a grille, sealed to the duct.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Imagine a northern pit worker coming home from work and finding his dinner was not on the table as he walked in through the door. He would "bray" his wife for that sort of insolence. He would also "bray" her again when he arrived home pissed up from the WMC later that night.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

He'd be more likely after a hard day down t'call centre to microwave something from M&S and then argue with t'boyfriend over who should take t'labradoodle down t'park.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

all thats needed is airflow. All that needs to happen is 2 holes and 1 fan.

NT

Reply to
NT