Should my brother be prosecuted?

Double 13 amp socket in his kitchen. One side has coffee maker plugged in. The other has a three-way adapter with kettle and toaster plugged in.

I suppose it is unlikely all all these devices would be run simultaneously and unlikely that that any would be unattended, but it doesn't seem right to me. I would plug them in as required but I suppose this would impose extra wear and tear on the socket.

Reply to
Scott

I'd have the kettle in one socket and the toaster and coffee maker in the adapter. My kettle is 3kw, my toaster is about 1.8kw. I've no idea what a coffee maker is but I'd guess about 2kw .

A toaster might stay on longer than a kettle, and I'm not sure about a coffee machine as I don't have one

Reply to
whisky-dave

Is it a fused three-way adapter? If so, then I would say it's OK.

In any case a 13A fuse will take 20A indefinately and 30A for a minute or two, so in practice a kettle plus toaster would be unlikely to blow the fuse.

Reply to
Caecilius

Unlikely to be an excessive load. But adaptors rarely survice heating appliance loads for long.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Assuming a BS standard 'adaptor', it will have a 13 amp fuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That would be daft to do that, I'm sure if you went down almost any street you would find similar things. The point is is the adaptor fused? I even still have appliances with non shrouded pins on the plug. In the scale of safety, you really do need some big problem to get a serious problem in my experience. The most dangerous things I've ever encountered are done by kitchen fitters who bodge connections behind cupboards etc, so that live wires lay in wait for the unwary, hidden only by a layer of hardboard that can become damp. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You wanna see mine. Two 8 way plug boards plugged into a double socket. With most of the plug board sockets with stuff plugged into them. Currently two of those glass convection ovens

one digital air fryer, toaster and the thermostat plug things for 3 electric frypan and mini electric wok thing.

And and the big wall over/grill plugged into another double socket.

Much more convenient to have them all plugged in full time and use the switch on the appliance to turn it on when you need to use it,

Yep.

Reply to
Jane Black

I had just a washing machine and tumble drier plugged into an adapter and melted it.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

That's 'cos it was made of Urea Formaldehyde.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Even if they were all on at once, they are each on for only a short time and so unlikely to blow the fuse in the adapter or overheat the adapter or socket.

Not a good idea, but unlikely to be a problem either.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Also, one should recognise the fact any cold heating element will draw maxm current at switch on and come down once the heating element starts to work. So intial inrush current is the one to reckon with, I suppose.

Reply to
gopalansampath

Not really true.

Only for some and then not by that much