Shedless in South-West Cork !

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

NP.

Oh Kerist... welcome to the stranglehold that is Eircom.

and ie.general ie.comp are forever full of complaints about the feckers.

It's not the people who work for Eircom, it's the greedy bastards who run it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Just like the good old (?) days of BT.......

Possible light at the end of the tunnel. Customer service person this morning actually phoned the engineer, who claimed that he'd explained the problem ('need a pole, mate') to the Agent, some weeks ago.

By pure coincidence (yeah, right) the engineer popped into the Agents this afternoon - and will visit the new site again tomorrow for another look before reporting back......

....so, for whatever reason, we might be getting some progress...

The real killer is that Customer Service will quote me a date. On that date.... nothing happens. I then ask 'what happened ?' - and they'll give me another date - ten working days later. On that date, nothing happens... again .... and so we go on.

Nothing actually seems to happen... but it keeps the customer quiet while he waits for something to happen..... grrrrr !

Seems to be a choice of BT, eircom or Imagine as a ISP. At the moment, eircom aren't top of my list I did ask Imagine about the mail boxes they provide (?single or multiple?) but the answer wasn't convincing....

Any recommendations ?? - assuming I ever get a phone line to connect through

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Depends on how far out of town you are and is your exchange broadband enabled yet?

for info.

Of the BB suppliers, Eircom are the most expensive, Esat/BT aren't the cheapest but better than Eircom.

If your exhchange isn't BB enabled, you have three main choices...

  1. Tough it out with dialup or ISDN until the rosy day arrives
  2. Go for a satellite comms package, which is s**te for anything useful.
  3. Hope there's a wireless BB net being established in your area.

Of the above, I'm currently on ISDN and getting the third as Eircom will never enable my exchange in my lifetime. I'm with Esat/BT as an ISP and quite happy with them. Rankles a bit having to effectively pay for two lines though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We're about 1.5 miles out of Ballydehob

- up the main road towards Bantry....

Now that's an intersting site - hand't seen that one before - thanks !

Yes - I see that from the site. intersting when you add line rental in - very good 'summary'

I used to run ISDN here - still have the old BT modem - ISTR it was fairly xpensive on line rental.... in the UK

Don't know anything about sat-internet

Yes - the idea of 'bundling' everything in with one supplier seems attractive. I'm hoping that, as eircom are making such a meal of connecting the last bit of line, it'll be of reasonable quality and able to support BB. The 'BB availability' sites seem to think that the house just up the road is 'not suitable for broadband'..... although the estate agent down in Ballydehob does have it.... ... still - let's get a phone line installed first !

When we were over in May the guy at the computer shop in Skibbereen, who live a couple of miles up the road from our new place, seemed to have bb at home with no problems.... - so I guess if it's not already there then it's on its way.... (fingers crossed!)

Many thanks for the info - another day of packing boxes today - we move 2 weeks today !!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Hi Dave

Update on eircom - just had the local engineer on the phone all the way from Ballydehob....

Spent some time discussing whether I would like a pole planted in the corner of my land, and when we eventually agreed that I would, said 'That's good - because I've ordered one for you'..... !! Didn't know when it'd be delivered, or whether we'd be suitable for broadband... but at least it's a start !

Ah well....

A silly question... - are the domestic phone plugs over there the same as the UK ones - as in oblong, just over 1/2" wide and about 1/4" thick....?

I'd got a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that Ireland uses the USA-style plugs & sockets - but I'm probably completely wrong....

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Not so silly; you're perfectly correct, it's RJ11. BT phones will work here with a BT>RJ11 converter, but some have problems with ringing. If you're bringing your own phones you can get the converters in almost any hardware store.

I'm in two minds about the RJ11; it's good that it's part of a system design, but it's a flimsy little POS sometimes. The BT plug is much more robust.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Aha - thanks for that.... .... - must listen to the little voices more often.....

Ebay's just supplied a couple of adapters..... now all i need is for eircom to provide something to plug them into !

Just discovered I have to do a day trip to West Cork on Monday to sort some 'stuff' out - goodee !

6:10am out of Stansted - hardly worth going to bed on Sunday night ......

Ah well - relax once we're moved over there

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Good luck in move; may follow one day.

See

to see Ireland is already shutting gates down to next wave of New Europe settlers.

THE Government is planning to close the door to thousands of foreign workers looking to move here next year.

The Irish Independent has learned the State wants to end its open-door policy for migrant workers from Bulgaria and Romania.

Thousands of workers from the two EU accession states had been expected to move here once they became full members of the EU in January 2007.

Now, however, government sources have revealed Taoiseach Bertie Ahern and Justice Minister Michael McDowell plan to introduce specific work-permits for nationals from the two new EU member states.

"The standard of liv> Hi again

Reply to
Gel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Here's a useful site of all the BB suppliers in Ireland if Eircom can't do the BB thang.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Hi Dave

Many thanks for that...

dial-up service ? I can see that there might be a time when I want to get online, maybe to retrieve webmail etc, without having set up a full-blown ISP deal..

..extra points for a company that also has access in the UK - 'cos my paid-for plusnet email service is total rubbish at the moment, and I'm that close to redirecting my domains' email somwehere else......

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Pay as you go numbers...

Eircom

1892 150150 Name - anything Password - anything

UTV

1890 927171 Not sure if they've changed to anything/anything, if not you'll have to go to
and set up a PAYG account.

The two above certainly don't rely on CLID, as my CLID has been knackered in the 'off' state for years and they still work.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

HI Dave

Many thanks !