shed door

Hi all. I plan to build a shed door from 28mm thick oak timber (varying widths 94mm - 120mm).
Questions :
Should I biscuit and ledger them together?
or
Just ledger?
I figure on fitting a 5 lever mortice with padlock but I would need to reinforce back and front with steel. Do you know where I could source 2 pieces of 1/4" plate about 6 - 8" square?
Thanks.
Arthur
Hi all. I plan to build a shed door from 28mm thick oak timber (varying widths 95mm - 120mm).
Questions :
Should I biscuit and brace them together?
or
Just brace?
I figure on fitting a 5 lever mortice and double up with a padlock but I would need to reinforce back and front with steel.
Thanks.
Arthur
51 wrote:

Normal is T & G and brace.. that keeps them draught free when they shrink..
Forget biscuits..they will rip them out. Bolts and braces is my best advice, though screws may hold. The force a swelling bit of oak exerts is phenomenal.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Thanks.
To allow for expansion I will use coach bolts and drill the holes a shade larger than necessary. Good enough ?
Arthur
51 wrote:

No need to drill larger.. just bolt it all up tight. The wood will go into compression that's all.