Server Room Power Supply

Hello All

I have a server room which will be running eight - nine servers. Currently only three, plus a router, and a UPS are powered by what looks like to me an extension to the ring main (Not sure??) The supply to the cab is via a 13AMP socket

Basically there is a cable which has been spurred from a socket in the end room of the house which runs into the garage and supplies the lights and sockets for the garage and server room next to it. There is at least one Fused Connection Unit in the mix from memory.

In addition to the final eight - nine servers I have an aircon unit that will be installed, plus there will be various office kit that will need powering. Taking the load into consideration, even though there is very little on the upstairs ring main where the supply comes from I am proposing to get the server room powered on its own circuit in some way.

I was thinking a radial circuit from the existing CU would maybe be the best approach. However looking at the CU there is only one unused socket or whatever the correct word is. Would it be better to install a new CU in the server room itself or just use this spare socket and run a radial.

Also would it be expensive to get a seperate supply completely run into the server room. Its for a business and therefore I really need to seperate it from my domestic supply.

I will be getting a proper spark in to do this, but I'm just curious to hear what the best solution would be so I dont get ripped off!!!!

Also any guestimates on cost?

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

weve had a few school server rooms put on their own supply back from the nearest fusebox. Only usually takes our freindly electricians a day or two to do (depending on how far it is and how many walls are in the way). I think they charge about £200/day.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On 16 Mar 2007 05:27:11 -0700, "Richard" mused:

Really there's only 2 options, either a new supply with seperate meter\cutout etc... but that's going to incur more costs for the installation and ongoing billing for the second supply.

Depending on the existing supply and space\capacity available a dedicated submain and meter from that could be used.

How long is a piece of string?

Depends on how long the run, what the exact final power requierments are, what sort of job want (i.e. thrown in with wonky trunking or tidy tubed straight and everything as it should be) and what the mains end is like for access for new equipment. Can't really price a job from the above, even slightly.

Bear in mind though when you select an electrician to do the job that they are actually aware of the various requirements of a server room and UPS's etc... Many jobs I see are best described as appaling as it just ends up being a spur from a ring by some technophobe spark.

Reply to
Lurch