securing old carboy

Bro-in-law found an old 4 gallon carboy among weeds at his new house and gave it to me for winemaking. However, after cleaning, it is apparent that there is a crack across the bottom, which allows water to leak out very slowly, so, to plan B - a bottle garden.

The crack seems quite secure, and unlikely to spread, but is there anything I can use to secure it before I begin to plant it up? Mrs Doodar likes the idea of the bottle garden in the porch, but is concerned at the safety aspect. Thnx.

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

Glass bond cyanoacrylate adhesive - should be drawn into the crack by capillary action. When set its refractive index is close to that of glass and hence is not easy to see.

If that does not work then perhaps a half inch of clear casting resin poured into it and allowed to set.

Reply to
John Rumm