Sealing a garage base to reduce compensation

As I mentioned in another thread, a friend's concrete sectional garage is plagued with condensation on the undersaide of the corrugated metal roof. Before we go to the lengths of lining the ceiling, would it be worth sealing the floor? It does get wet with penetrating damp, which is presumably the source of the water vapour which collects on the cold metal.
What's the best product to use? There seems to be a variety of paving and concrete sealants, and then there's ordinary bitumous paint. Is there a particular recommendation for the job? And does the floor have to be bone dry before application?
Many thanks - and a happy new year all round.
Bert
Compensation? Good grief. Sorry about that...
Bert
On 31/12/2012 10:25, Bert Coules wrote:

Amusing. :-)
--
Rod

I got "bituminous" wrong, too...
Bert

and underside.
Dave Baker wrote:

It really isn't my day, is it? Still, at least I seem to have given people something to write about, even if it is my spelling rather than my friend's garage problem.
Bert
Bert Coules wrote:

Ever considered taking up writing for a living ;-)?
--
Adam

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:25:39 -0000, "Bert Coules"

You are either Count Arthur Strong or Hylda Baker &ICMFP!
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On 31/12/2012 10:45, Graham. wrote:

Definitely NOT CAS - Bert made me smile.
--
Rod

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:23:26 -0000, "Bert Coules"

Use the various garage floor paints but don't use bituminous paint as you'll be treading it everywhere for months and years. BP is great stuff in the right place, not as a floor top covering.
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Ah, right, thanks. Is there anything to choose between the various brands and descriptions? B&Q do an own-brand "Paving Seal", a Cementone "Water Seal" and a "Pave Seal" from the same manufacturer, all at different (and rsing) prices.
Bert
On 31/12/2012 11:24, Bert Coules wrote: all at

Not having a good spelling day today? :-)

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Apparently ton!
Bert
Bert Coules wrote:

None of these are of any use to you - they are for sealing paving against algae growth and staining, they are not sealants against penetrating damp, you need something that creates a barrier. I've just used Thompsons roof seal on my concrete shed roof, it's water based and applied with a roller. It pissed it down 4 hours after I'd done it and half of it washed off onto the pavement, but in the time it was on it sealed the (bad) leaks I was having and I've enough left to give it a second coat when it dries.....it has a 10 year warranty and I've used it before on shed rooves with no probs...it's about 30 for 5L
"Phil L" wrote:

Thanks for that. Would the same product work against rising penetrating damp if it was applied to the surface of a concrete base?
Bert
OK, having done a bit more research it seems that there are two basic varieties of paint-on sealant: solvent-based and silicone-based. Any views on the merits or demerits of either?
Bert
On Monday, December 31, 2012 12:17:52 PM UTC, Bert Coules wrote:

and epoxy, which is the best. But its price premium is probably not justified for home use.
NT
On 31/12/2012 12:17, Bert Coules wrote:

The solvent in the former is just a carrier so you can get the resin/polymer/whatever onto the floor. It's the solids that do the job.
Silicone based just repel water, like Scotchguard, they don't seal as such.

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Ah, so a surface coating wouldn't prevent water penetration from below?
I've just said in answer to ARW that my own garage, which is completely lined and insulated doesn't suffer from the problem, but that's more than my friend wants to do. Replacing the corrugated metal roof with something else (plastic?) might be a possibility, but would that make any difference to the condensation?
And a sudden thought: what about a thermostatically-controlled greenhouse-type heater? But wouldn't that be an expensive solution, in the long run?
Bert
On 31/12/2012 12:59, Bert Coules wrote:

It would, but if the floor is that damp it may not last long. Maybe there are specific coatings for this problem?