Sealed lead-acid battery charging - LT3652 alternatives

I need to build a charger for a small sealed lead-acid battery (12V,

2.3Ah, C/20) and was tempted to use the LT3652 until I realised it isn't available in a pin'ed DIL package. Is there anything with similar function that a hobbyist can deal with?
Reply to
unknown

You can get small boards for surface mounting ordinary SM stuff on that bring the connections out to wire holes or onto pins. I don't know if such things are available for that type of package(*1). The soldering isn't difficult, clean and flux with a paste flux(*2), fix the chip in place with tape or a blob of glue, have a little bit of solder on your hot iron and quickly run it along the exposed conections. There are YouTube videos showing this technique.

(*1) Looks like they probably are, is there something suitable here (there seems to be an awful lot of variants):

(*2) I used a non-acid plumbers flux as that is what I had. Washed the board well afterwards to remove an residue.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you cant wait for another order, its possible to just solder strands of wire to each pin on an SMD, and when soldering to a board leave the leads long enough that the joints don't remelt.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

wire to each pin on an SMD, and when soldering to a board leave the leads long enough that the joints don't remelt.

Thanks all, but from a quick look at the datasheet I think the UC3906 will do what I want and is available in DIL16.

Reply to
unknown