Scythes...

Came across this while looking for links on a different subject entirely. I enjoy the quiet and rhythm of using a sickle in the garden and allotment but never quite got the hang of a scythe: coming across this site I would be tempted, though, sadly, I'm not fit enough at the mo. Others seeking a more peaceful alternative to the strimmer might find it interesting:

Spamlet

Interesting website - bookmarked - thanks!

Reply to
dom

Reply to
Andy Burns

sickle... The handles shown, are not at all like those I've used.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I'm very left wing - perhaps I'll have a natural aptitude.

Reply to
dom

Oh; I think they would appreciate the quiet; and it would be handy for when I have one of my turns ;-)

Spamlet

Choose a sickle that has a thin (not narrow) blade, like a mini scythe in fact: ie. not the 'grass hook' variety: (I find them hard work unless your grass is in exactly the right condition for them). And have it cranked so that you can have the blade flat on the ground while your hand is a few inches off. Wear a tough gauntlet on your 'left' hand, just in case, but generally keep it out of the way, on your knee for example - or lean on a stick. The technique is like 'cracking a whip' or throwing a ball: you want to accelerate the blade: not your arm. Keep your 'right' elbow close in to your side, or hold your upper arm as still as you can (as in playing darts: this is your steady 'launch platform'). Draw your lower arm out to the right, and, at the end of the stroke, curl your wrist and hand with the sickle attached, back : think 'snake ready to strike'. Then bring the forearm round, and as it gets in front of you, whip your wrist and the sickle round the front and let it fly in a curve round to the left: think 'slice: not chop'. This gives you a lot of acceleration to the blade and makes it slice through the grass (and your leg, frogs etc. if they get in the way) at great speed. If the lawn is not too stony, it is satisfying to let the blade bounce in front of you, and this cuts very close.

Much depends on the method of attack. You want your swing to bite off just the right amount of unmown grass, and sweep it around into the area you have mown. This means, if you are right handed, working from left to right, and vice versa.

Much also depends on how rank and dry you allow the grass to become. Too much of either, and you may need to resort to the strimmer, and remember to start while the grass is still green and standing up fairly well, next time.

Have a good sharpening stone in your pocket and use it frequently (The flat 'diamond shaped' ones are better than the round ones for this I find). As you sharpen (again taking care not to slice your fingers off: keep your hand behind the blade as much as possible): feel the edge with your finger nail for the burr, and sight along the edge looking for flats (the odd nick is inevitable and doesn't matter much). When you can see no flats, and a finger nail does not snag on a burr on either surface, your blade is ready. With the narrow blades, it will make them cut like a razor. A wipe with the stone every few yards keeps it sharp.

Once done, wipe the blade with an oily rag, and linseed oil to the handle occasionally. It will last a lifetime.

Cheers,

Spamlet

Saved for future reference, thank you.

Reply to
S Viemeister

YW,

I have missed it this year, as I've not been very well, but I used to find it quite a satisfying process: almost a meditation. (Mind you: in our garden, one must be careful to be done by dusk, or get badly bitten by blackfly before you notice they are there!).

Take care, S

Reply to
Spamlet

With us, it's hordes of midges. Horrible little creatures.

Reply to
S Viemeister

A sickle is for corn and is saw toothed and used in a gathering action opposite to grass cutting, I have never used one.

What you are describing is a swap hook which I used on piecework over many acres but your description is right.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Apart from 'grass hook' (heavy narrow things that always seemed not much use for anything: but I'm sure they must be to some people as I've seen them used one in each hand) I've only ever heard of them collectively called sickles, but I'm sure they all have their own names and uses. Round here, the Asian shops tend to sell small, narrow bladed saw-toothed ones, which I assume they use for gathering their favoured herbs of coriander, flat parsley, fenugreek, etc. Was tempted to buy one of those too.

Cheers,

Spamlet