Screwfix and CORGI

One point no one seems to have established yet, is whether these words are just bluster to make CORGI go away with a warm fuzzy feeling, or actually some policy they have an intention and capability to actually enforce.

Reply to
John Rumm

But you place faith on having a piece of paper to satisfy an insurance company if anything went wrong?

The only time an insurance company might question a claim is if there was evidence that faulty workmanship etc was the reason. And a competent person doesn't do faulty workmanship. Allegedly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've just come back from Screwfix and whilst waiting for me rawlplugs I asked the guys. Two of them didn't even know it was in the catalogue :-)

The manager type bloke had to read it again and said that he thought it was only advising that installation must be by CORGI people. I asked if I could buy a boiler and have it installed by a CORGI guy & he said yes that was fine.

Apparently their computer system prompts them to check when selling items like knives & glue that the customer is old enough etc, no prompts are coming up on the marked items.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Heh. Anyone familiar with Tom Lehrer? - in particular his quip about the US Army - "that they not only prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, creed or colour ... but also on the grounds of ability"

(And that was back in - what, the '70s?)

Reply to
John Stumbles

The defrocked marine? :-)

Reply to
Rod

I think that was Parts Center [sic] not Plumb Center. Anyway I think that's more in the shop window than the shop itself: I've never been asked to show any cards other than those which transfer money to them.

Incidentally on price I recently bought some CM907s & 927s from some interweb vendor and found they were actually delivered by Plumb Center. Mentioned this to the manager there and he said to get him to quote for it next time. I did and got it about £10 cheaper than their first offering price (ended up £44 ex VAT for the CM907).

Me neither - even Plumbfix's price on Worcester 24i Junior's is way higher than I get from Grahams (and that's about all I ever buy from them - I've only got a cash account)

I will if and when I get near that level of turnover .

Reply to
YAPH

Well actually if you look at my post earlier in this thread I said I had set up an ID with them saying that I was a DIY-er, and gone through the motions of buying a boiler from them, and had at no point even been advised that I needed to be CORGI reg let alone any check being enforced. OK I didn't actually enter my credit card details (I didn't have any bogus ones to offer :-)) but I doubt that if I'd got that far they'd have rejected the transaction after it had been through card services.

Of course it could change in the future, but given as Screwfix have been offering trade accounts for a couple of years now and still haven't got beyond the point of requiring bits of paper filled in with pencil at the trade counters for each one, or managed to set up Direct Debit arrangements on the accounts, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to implement online checking of CORGI registration.

Reply to
YAPH

All to often you will find they do not know the law. The CORGI site cleverly gives the "impression" that DIY is illegal.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's the one!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Turover is vanity, profit is sanity...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mandatory VAT registration is on turnover though ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

I know, I was just saying to YAPH that its the profit that matters not the turnover.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It there a law stopping you buying rope in lengths more than 1m to stop you hanging yourself?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth