Screwfix

But buying the cheapest solution / product, is not what the good man advises...

How many people must have bought, say, cheap paint only to find that it either doesn't cover as well (so you need more) or that it doesn't stand up to the riggers of everyday living (in a vain attempt to stay on-topic !) ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Look, it was just placing two planning applications (quite possibly just outline plans), the cost would have been off set by the savings made if by some miracle the application had been accepted, the cost if it failed was a drop in the ocean of moving up country.

So, yes, it could have been used as a local PR exercise especially as SF probably always wanted to keep the Yeovil site for a HQ.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Of course - which was my point....

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That was written in the last 1800s. We now have computerised mass production, so he is way off mark to many products of today. It is at times cheaper to buy lower to mid range mass produced products, that are expendable. Domestic fridges come to mind. If a compressor goes it is not worth replacing the compressor, as it would cost more than a new fridge. A new fridge can come with a 2 or 3 years guarantee too. You can pay silly money for a fridge and have the compressor replaced when duff, but is it worth it? Is it cost effective? Usually not.

The same applies to washing machines. Condensing tumble dryers have to be decent quality as the seals have to prevent moisture from entering the room. About the only case I can see of buying top range white goods.

In other goods it is worth going for the highest quality, but it not always the case that paying more means better or it being cost effective.

Reply to
IMM

So why do you think MT had read the good advise ?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

What total bo**ocks, but what else do we expect from IMM... :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It doesn't matter - the principles still apply and always will do.

No he isn't. You could have made the same argument with respect to the changes in cloth production brought about by the industrial revolution.

In effect, one of the quotations describes the total cost of ownership in that one has to reserve money to deal with problems that could have been put to buying a better product in the first place.

By buying a better quality and more expensive product, you are in a better position in consumer law. The guarantees offered are merely a convenience and do not replace it.

I can understand that you wouldn't see the reason for buying top of the range white goods.

I've bought top of the range products such as Miele and Liebherr for the last 20 years and it certainly pays off. The quality, usability and performance is better to begin with and absence of having to screw around with repairs and replacements is worth a great deal.

It usually does, and if there is a problem, one has a great deal of leverage to get a resolution

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

He is. As these product were not there in the 1800s.

He is on about 1800s products, not 21st century products. Meile's do brake down, not as often as other products, but they do it costs to have them repaired.

< snip tripe about the law >

Because I have brains and have figured it out.

Figures please. Comparison to a mid range product over the same period.

Decent quality of course, biut you can usually buy two mid-range products for the price of a Meile.

? eh?

All washing machines, etc perform pretty much the same these days.

Repairs? In most cases you reepace the whole unit.

No. You should re-read the above again.

? eh?

Reply to
IMM

It doesn't matter what the product is or when - the principle is timeless.

Many have a 10 year warranty.

I've had two service calls in over 25 machine years, both warranty covered.

The most relevant piece.

Mmmm.

You might. I prefer to buy something that's good quality and with a proper service backup.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"on price alone" are the key words. When he was writing spending on marketing was almost nil so there was probably a much better correlation between price and quality. Lots of supermarket own-brand products (not the white box ones) are identical to the branded ones; with latter you are paying for the name and nothing else. If you want something to do the job IME you are invariably better off by buying something mid-market: e.g. in terms of quality and reliability v. cost I am convinced that my Honda Jazz beats (for example) a similarly size Hyundai or Audi A2.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In short, you haven't figured it out yet.

Reply to
IMM

In short, I certainly have.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Talk about ROFLOWPMS !....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Aye, in my case it was 30A cartridge fuses and a 4" drill press vice. Screwfix have done similar, 25 x 450mm SDS drill loose in single walled cardboard box, nice hole in box and another, smaller, SDS drill missing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Andy Hall wrote

How many people have bought paint expensively and found that it does the same. Price is often not a good guide to quality.

Reply to
Alan

[ note: I made the remarks bellow ]

Very few I expect. Oh, and please learn how to post, or more to the point get your attributions correct...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

DID YOU!

Were they aerial riggers or some other sort?

Reply to
usenet

Yes !!! Read Andy's message again and you will see the tail end of some quoted text at the bottom, that is what has been replied to.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Business rates are small and should be abolished anyway. The real gain to the council is more local people being employed and so not hogging up their social services department.

Reply to
G&M

It was approved today so the tree huggers are probably on their way. At least it's cold and wet for them !!

Reply to
G&M