Screw sheared off in pattress - what to do

FWIW you can add a nut to plastice surface box, I did it once, but its not generally worth doing

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/FWIW you can add a nut to plastice surface box, I did it once, but its not generally worth doing

NT /q

Oh? How did you do that go then?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

You snipped the bit where I gave what many seem to think it is. Was it too hard for you to read?

Didn't expect you to actually answer the question, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True - since they're generally easily changed. Unlike a flush box set into plaster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is no distinction in the use of patress between surface and flush mounting boxes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To me, neither is a pattress. That is reserved for the shallow mounting plate for fully surface mounted accessories.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's because it's not a universally accepted term. Depends on the part of the country.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More usually called a frame round here. If you can find a counter person who knows what you mean - as not all makers sells them.

Any more for any more? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A plastic back box is a patress box in Yorkshire:-)

Although I did hear the term wall boxes used the other day meaning metal flush boxes - although that was in Lincolnshire.

Reply to
ARW

You'll get a blank look if you talk about pattress in most wholesalers in London. More than usual, that is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would I be safe in Wickes:-)?

ARW

You can sometimes find a self-tapper which will fit a damaged thread and be almost indistinguishable.

Reply to
newshound

And if you can't find one that matches, use a self tapper in both sides.

Reply to
john james

In my experience flush boxes refer to metal boxes sunk into the plaster and surface boxes being plastic or metal boxes as the name implies fixed to th e wall surface. The term patttress is used to describe a backless box that is used as a spacer to enable a front plate that has deep projections on it s back to be secured to a shallow flush box.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

/You snipped the bit where I gave what many seem to think it is. Was it too hard for you to read?

Didn't expect you to actually answer the question, though. /q

Oh dear....

You suggested supergluing a but oin the back of a 'lug'

Pattresses in general parlance do not have lugs, back boxes do.....

What was the question you imagined I ignored?

Much love

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

No, I suggested glueing a nut to the back of the lug.

Tell the OP he's using the wrong name then. I don't care.

The one you've just answered.

Shudder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

/Tell the OP he's using the wrong name then. I don't care./q

You also don't know he's using the wrong name... Its preferable for you to presume he is wrong and not you

Makes one wonder why you bother in the first place.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Nope. Not according to the dictionary. Or wiki.

The Natural Philosopher

For a wider view see the pictures at

The wooden ones are what I call "pattresses". Most of the others aren't pattresses, they're "back boxes", both surface and flush.

I think the usage is regional. I learned the word in Manchester. The Wikipedia entry is too narrow in its scope, as demonstrated by the photos.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Tricky Dicky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

+1