Scottish Power's pole causing subsidence

An electric pole that brings power and telephone line into my 1730s stone cottage (pole fitted in 1956 for Electrics -- we are at the end of the line) is causing subsidence in the corner of the house where the pole is. A builder confirmed at 10 inches from the wall the pole has been set too close to the house with no underpinning around the corner of the house which has over the years resulted in subsidence.

Who is liable here? Its obviously not my pole but Scottish Power are muttering that I am liable to pay for the pole removal (and new powerline trenched from the penultimate pole) etc etc? Should I push for getting them to pay for this and correcting the stonework?

BT also want to charge me £75 to move the telephone line that shares this pole. I have phoned them and they either lose my query or state categorically I have to pay for everything. Which seems unfair.

Ideas?

Reply to
TF

I'm having trouble imagining how the presence of a pole can lead to subsidence. Subsidence is usually the result of subsoil being washed away by underground streams or (more commonly) clay soils shrinking due to prolonged drought caused by lack of rain or the presence of large, thirsty, trees (or both, obviously).

Am I missing something obvious ?

Reply to
John Laird

Perhaps the pole has taken root?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Rick Dipper writes

But I still cant see or imagine, how a power pole could "cause" subsidence, and wonder just how one of me 'learned friends could either?....

Reply to
tony sayer

I would visit a few (3-5) solicitors and take advantage of their free half hour sessions to see what they think.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Prehaps thay dug the pole in and did not fill in the hole very well, or it has wobbled making a big hole.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Where abouts are you (geographically) ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

It is my guess that the solicitor would advise that you need proof the pole caused the problem, and whould go on to advise the sort of proof required. Assuming this proof is obtainable I would also guess they could advise on what avenues may be open in regards a claim, allowing the OP to decide if its worth the investment in obtaining proof and solicitors fees.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Without an opinion from a qualified surveyor first no solicitor is going to know whether there is any potential liability here. Personally I can't see how a pole can affect a house's foundations but then I'm not a surveyor. Get that expert opinion first and then there might be grounds for proceeding. Could be an expensive way of finding out it isn't anything to do with the pole though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

1730's cottage - probably without footings? A pole planted 5ft deep?[1]

I could hazard a guess......

[1] well in theory - if it's rock a little way below ground the pole might only be planted about 4ft.
Reply to
wanderer

Probably the bloke who dug the hole for the pole in the first place.

You are very unlikely to succeed, given the time that has elapsed since the pole was installed. It will be very difficult to prove a link between the effect and what you believe to be the cause, despite the opinion of your builder.

That pole has been there for nearly half a century and, so far as the utilities using it are concerned, there is no need to move it now. Therefore, it is not unreasonable for them to expect you to pay if you want it removed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Threaten to change to your cable company if you have one and they'll back down.

Reply to
G&M

If the pole only feeds you then yep, you have to pay.

All of which is valid comment, but I wonder if there are other factors involved. Does the place have reasonable footings? Given it's age, I suspect not. Has the OP experienced excessive rainfall in recent months, or alternatively some degree of drying out of the ground? He mentions 'his builder' - what works, if any has the builder already carried out?

Reply to
wanderer

I suspect that may be a bit difficult as I seem to remember this is a rural location where there is a distinct dearth of "cable companies".

Reply to
usenet

I thought it might be. Still one could always make the threat anyway and hope the call centre is in Bombay or something and don't know that :-)

Reply to
G&M

How does it compare to mobile - if you do not use it much? £75 is a lot of calls.

Reply to
aegxgea

Not in the first half hour he won't.

Reply to