Saving water in loos

I wonder if this idea might be taken to its logical extreme one day, using a low volume pressurised jet to sweep the bowl. Effectively a pressure washer to do a quick sweep instead of the large volume flush approach used today.

However since we're so oversupplied with ater there's not much point.

For the OP, another option is to use grey water in the cistern, output from sinks etc. More water saved, and more cleaning needed. In Japan a sink on the cistern is common, with the wash water going into the cistern.

Is this worth it:?

meow2222

A sweet smelling environment filled with nice smelling people who shower twice a day etc. may be considered to be better for the world but is very wasteful on our resources and negative overall - the supply of water, the processing of waste water, detergents, maintaining supplies, heating of water etc. etc. requires large amounts of energy. Also consider that only a small prportion of the world has access to proper toilets and showers etc. and if we aim to get everyone to the standard of unsmelly drains and zero odor people there is probably not enough resources to do this. I think moist people consider that third world people should not have access to the same resources we gobble up. Our noses have become way to sensitive to natural smells which are usually covered up by deoderants (further pollution). I for one am able to cope with a slighlty smellier environment in order to live in a more healthy environment so I am not a 'filthy lowlife scruff', but someone who has consideration for people beyond the end of my own nose.

Reply to
nafuk

Such things already exist.

Several hotels I have stayed in in the U.S. have pressure vessels retrofitted in the cistern. These contain a diaphragm and are filled using mains pressure. On operating the flush, the contents are rapidly disgorged into the pan.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So supply the energy. There are perfectly straightforward ways of generating electricity using nuclear technology

I'm sure that that is nonsense. Why people assume that in order to supply in one place, there has to be a reduction in another surprises me to say the least. It's just a sop to those who want to "do their bit" and feel that their conscience is therefore salved as opposed to dealing with the real problem and actually doing something about the problems. Unfortunately, politics and involvement of governments prevents what needs to be done actually from happening.

I'm only moist when I come out of the shower. People in the third world should be helped to address their issues of course, but it has to be in a way that is appropriate for where they are and where they want to be. One should not assume that either are the same as the first world and definitely not the second.

That's nice...

Reply to
Andy Hall

Look on your local water board site - most of them offer a free hippo water saver device.

Reply to
Mogga

Ours is the opposite way round, Press and hold for a short flush. It's really annoying.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I work on the assumption that using more water means the waste is more dilute and less harmful/easier to treat. Surely that's better for the environment.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I just object to the green mantra these days which seems to equate water with petrochemicals etc as a resource which needs to be conserved (which I know you didn't say) - but clearly they are totally different priorities.

Once everyone is on a compulsory water meter - ie at which point water usage will be directly linked to the profits of the supplier - I wonder how much bleating there will be about the need to conserve water?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hosepipe incentives. Discounts for having two hoses. Fact sheets on how to drench your flowers and the need to wash the car daily

Reply to
Andy Hall

Economy 7 water - cheap rate Oct-April, peak rate May-Sept.

And we'll all have to fit new taps that don't turn completely off, so there's always some water flowing, to prevent stagnant water accumulating.

Just wait till some MP's daughter gets gippy tummpy from drinking dodgy tap water abroad...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's surprising that they could find room to build a factory.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

The flush mechanism in mine (B&Q suite) was made in - of all places - Monaco!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Has anyone seen any reference as to how much energy is used in getting a unit volume of water clean enough to drink and delivered to a house?

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I've often considered that the energy requirements would be reduced if 'Milkmen' - electric wagons obviously -delivered _free_ potable water to every household and the potability requirement for water was reduced. Is it necessary for my clothes, dishes and flowers to have potable water?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Given that the price (a few years back admittedly) was 90p per cubic metre, not a lot. And then someone analysed a water company's accounts to show that the actual marginal cost of treatment and delivery was a fraction of this.

The problem is that there comes a point when the infrastructure cannot cope and replacing this is horrendously expensive - metering is about choking off excess demand to reduce the need for extra investment that would not be economically viable at current prices.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Do what one american state does, 'If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down', works a treat in saving water.

Reply to
Alan Holmes