Sanding Sealer

I am doing up a pine dresser.

Having sanded the wood I have painted on some sanding sealer but it says to apply Two coats.

So I have applied one, sanded it smooth, now I am ready to apply the second coat, do I then sand it again??? or go straight onto waxing the dresser.

I am just confused and dont know wether or not to sand it after the second coat.

Thanks millan

Reply to
Millan

Sand the 2nd coat as well. The sealer should leave you with a smooth but not shiny surface. It's there to prevent the wax soaking into the wood and disappearing

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks Stuart

OK. I have given it two coats of SS and rubbed the final coat down.

I have given it one coat of wax and want to give it two. Should I therefore buff the first coat up the apply the second OR apply the first wait for it to dry aply the second then buff?

The other problem I have is because I am using a coloured light brown way more than one coat makes it a little dark. Ca I give it one coat of the brown way then a second in a clear wax??? If so whatclear way would anyone recomend. I dont want it toooo shiny but need it quite tough as we have kids knowcking it around.

Thanks again Millan

Reply to
Millan

You can usually get a good shine by buffing with fine steel wool. Lack of shine normally denotes too much wax rather than too little, so a 2nd coat is unlikely to achieve anything.

After 2 coats of sealer the wax should be sitting on the surface, and a smear should be all you need.

Wax is not a very durable finish, and nor are sanding sealers

Reply to
Stuart Noble