Sand - grain size

Trying to patch a sandy textured painted interior wall finish, feels like 220+ grit sandpaper...

Tried some aquarium sand - too grainy & clumps together.

Wondering what other sands are worth a try?

From the feel I presume it needs to be angular not rounded grain, from the aquarium sand test the grain size needs to be a lot less than 1mm.

How fine is kiln dried sand in the sheds?

Any other thoughts appreciated!

Reply to
Jimk

Garden centres do bags of sharp sand in smallish bags. You'd probably need to dry it though.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

We used to buy something called ?silver sand? from memory for our children?s sand pit. It didn?t stain but was very fine. I recall it being expensive compared to ordinary sand but it didn?t ruin their clothes etc. It wasn?t silver but was pale in colour.

I think we bought it from a major toy store Shed - Toys R Us- but this was a couple of decades back.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Possibly `egg timer sand`

ss

Sandpit sand existed long before Toys R Us came into being. Sand used to fill the gaps between paving stones would be the answer. I get mine from Wickes.

Reply to
charles

might not actually BE sand

try here for inspiration

carborundum looks fun!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Kiln dried paving sand is probably the finest stuff you will find easily in the sheds.

Reply to
John Rumm

Does this not depend on the viscosity of the paint. The last textured paint I used seemed to be using a kind of volcanic dust, at least that was what it felt like. Not that I frequent a lot of volcanoes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Bed

The grain size of sharp sand is probably too large - my estimate equivalent to 40 grit sand paper

Maybe try silver sand. Probably silver sand is less likely to change the colour of the paint.

Joint filling sand (for sweeping into block paving ) is also fine grain.

Sands sold in builders merchants/sheds can be very variable depending on which part of the country in which you live and where it has been sourced. Sharp sand around my way tends to have a yellow colour but where my friends live 200 miles away sharp sand in mainly dark red. The red and yellow variants of sand are common and both can change the colour of waht you are trying to mix it with.

Reply to
alan_m

The white beaches of the west coast of Scotland aren't sand, but finely ground up shells.

Reply to
charles