Safely removing a water tank

Hello there

I've recently had a combi boiler fitted and my cold water tank is no out of use and occupying some precious storage space in my pokey we flat. The tank appears, to my untrained eye to be fibreglass - smoot on the inside but with fibrous texture on the outside.

I will need to cut this into several smaller pieces before removing i through the small hatch available. Can anyone give me some advice o how to do this safely?

Many thanks

CluelessBO

-- CluelessBOB

Reply to
CluelessBOB

Use a hand saw to cut, wear enclosed goggles and a mask as you are in an enclosed space.

The stuff isn't really dangerous but you are messing with glass and resin dust. Get some of that rubbed into your eye and it hurts! Oh yes, it hurts!

After cutting I would stand under a shower before removing the goggles to clear the crap from your hair.

Reply to
EricP

BTDT. Mask, Goggles, One piece overall with hod etc. You dont want to breathe glass fibres, nor do you want them irritating any exposed skin. Fine toothed saw probaly best. The fewer the cuts the less particles you will create. Remember there will probabl be some water in the bottom so have cloth and bucket to hand.

Reply to
DJC

A cheap jig saw or even a disposable hand saw will do. Wear eye, ear and nose protection.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

pmsl, he's gonna get funny looks from the wife/girlfriend if she catches him in the shower.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not if he sticks an orange in his mouth and crocodile clips on his nipples he won't. :-)

Reply to
Matt

Mouth ?!

How about a pair of large industrial offset tin snips ?

It's only glassfibre and will cut down on the dust ...

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Now you've gone and spoiled the effect!!! :(((

Reply to
EricP

And a Conservative rosette on his chest?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I was thinking a nibbler might be better than a saw, and easier than snips.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Happens all the time. Anyhow, thanks for all the pointers folks. I hav a jig saw and will invest in some goggles, a mask and, perhaps a showe cap to keep the stuff out my hair

-- CluelessBOB

Reply to
CluelessBOB

Kinky!