s video cable

Can anyone tell be how long a s-video cable from an old analogue video cam can be?

I have some old cameras which I want to try as security cams using s-video to a usb2 converter ( about 6 quid from ebay).

AJH

Reply to
news

I've got RGB Scart running from the lounge to the kitchen - some 15 metres

- ok, and I'd guess S-Video would be at least as robust, using decent co-ax.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Pretty long" would be may answer. After all, a composite signal will travel quite far in a cable without the need for equalisation, so it follows that Y/C signals will be even more robust as the luminance and chroma are separate. of course it presupposes that the cable is suitable, each signal in a separate screen end-to-end, and terminated with the correct impendence.

Reply to
Graham.

Big house for a communist!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'd guess anything sounds big to one who obviously lives in some sink estate - given the complaints about unlawful immigrants, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, that would be KGB SCART...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes Dave, you're right. It's living in this hell hole that makes me so bitter. Thing is, we just can't get off this estate. The place is full of druggies and criminals. The vandalism and graffiti are horrendous. Hardly anyone has a job. The council's attitude is that we're lucky to have a house. They do hardly any repairs yet they still chase us for the rent. The chances of an exchange are zero because no-one is prepared to live here.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ah - right. You need to ask for some more housing benefit so you can move to somewhere better, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

blimey, it took people long enough to get it,

Reply to
Gazz

10 metres seems fine and the picture is reasonable.

To prevent the camcorder (Sanyo VM- D3P)

going to sleep I left the cassette tray open, this is good for an hour but then it switches off.

Any suggestions for a reasonable IP camera (wired suits me and no need for POE as I am siting the cams on various office window cills).

AJH

Reply to
news