Rusting Cellulose thinner container ?

My wife has just commented on a stong smell of thinners in my workshop. When I investigated I found that my 5litre can of cellulose thinners has developed a pin hole leak in the side of the can. On further examination there are several pock marks that look like they could be developing into holes. How could this be ?, do thinners contain some residual water ? Any ideas how to repair it as I've no other suitable container ?

Chris

Reply to
Chris & Patsy

workshop.

thinners has

examination

developing into

Low quality thinners does contain water, sometimes more than one would think, this is why you shouldn't use 'Gun Wash thinners' as paint thinners when spraying.

As for a replacement container, many trade paint factors can supply empty 5 or 25 litre metal drums.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You're not going to be able to repair the container. Buy a new one.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If it's a metal tin, it should be possible to put a dob of solder on the hole with a nice big soldering iron. However....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

MEK, the normal thinners is hygroscopic (takes in atmospheric moisture) and this is probably why the can has rusted. Only in a very full and well sealed can will corrosion not eventually occur. Repair is not an option, you will almost certainly find thatthe area around the pinhole is also corroded.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Send her out shopping for large glass bottles with consumable contents and sealable lids :-) Or you _may_ find that it won't dissolve the polythene(?) used for milk "bottles", but test it first!

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

If it is MEK, it will migrate through polythene and to a lesser extent polypropylene PVC is out. It would appear that there is a good reason MEK is not packaged in plastic.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

I have used and smelled MEK, but I have never seen/smelled it used for cellulose paints (ex B.A.e. Systems, Warton, Lancs.) I know they are both ketones, but when was MEK used with the paint?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

thanks all for replys, Patsy likes the idea of emptying some wine bottles but I think I'll go and buy a new tin !

Chris

Reply to
Chris & Patsy

Maybe my sense of smell let me down, but every time I pass our local spray shop, it is definitely not toluene nor acetone that is the odour. Perhaps MIBK.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Ah, yes! I forgot about them :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Aw, spoilsport. It's _so_ much fun explaining when arrested for behaving suspiciously in the supermarket why you were searching the shelves for a bottle of a specific volume and don't care what's in it. Especially after you've let slip that it's to contain an inflammable liquid. ISTR our school lab assistant being sent out for a perfectly cylindrical jamjar for an experiment where it had to roll straight...

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran