rubber protectors

I live in an old house with a narrow driveway entrance. On each side are stone pillars and this morning I managed to scrape my bumper on one getting the car in (situation not helped by the fact that I have to turn 90 degrees straight afterwards). Pain in the arse so please feel free to have a little schadenfreude at my expense...

What I'd like to do is put some rubber protection on the pillars so if I hit them in the future I'll just get a few rubber marks rather than lose paintwork.

Anybody know where I can source such a thing? TIA.

Reply to
brixton mcfarlane

Cut a piece from an old tyre?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , brixton mcfarlane writes

Have you ever heard of used tyres? - often free to a good home

Reply to
geoff

How about cutting something from foam lagging (for insulating pipes). Easy to work with an is nice and soft for the occasional bump. I mean the darker high-density stuff not the thin foam that soaks up water. Most Sheds sell it. Not sure what longevity would be like.

The other thing to consider is a bump (concrete, wood, tarmac) in the entrance that would warn you when driven over if you are on the wrong (collision) trajectory.

Jc.

Reply to
Josey

I've had the same idea after doing exactly the same thing on the old gate post (smashed down vigorously with a hammer afterwards).

I've my eye on some of the trunking that is used for cables in offices that go across floors. Cut the underside and then put the cables inside it then it sits on the floor like a mini speed hump.

Let me know if some of that would be any use and I'll sort you some out. I was planning on bolting it around the edges of my new metal gate posts. It's fairly heavy stuff so should not need too many fasteners to support it (no bolts sticking out then).

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

Hello brixton

Ship chandlers. They're used in any length and any size as rubbing strips for boats.

Reply to
Simon Avery