Roundup strength

Use any Glyphophate .... mixed with part oil .... much better than just water, stops it simply running off leaves.

Tordon 22k or SBK brushkiller I have found pretty good

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Can you suggest the best thing for creeping buttercup but *not* grass?

Reply to
newshound

If you mean creeping buttercup in a lawn, then any modern selective lawn weedkiller such as Verdone Extra should be effective with one application.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks. Actually a paddock; I've got rid of a lot of the dock with selective application of Verdone last year, but I had the impression this wasn't zapping the buttercup. Will try again.

Reply to
newshound

Verdone broadleaf specific weedkiller but follow the instructions carefully or you could scorch the grass with too high a concentration. Best applied about 3-4 days after last cutting it and leave to grow on for a week afterwards. I find a 12" screwdriver useful for the odd dandelion or small infestation of buttercup. I let other non-invasive wildflowers grow in my lawn - I don't like the sterile chem-lawn look!

Reply to
Martin Brown

On that scale you can probably get something better and cheaper from a farm suppliers that is better suited to use on a field where stock will be eating the grass. On domestic lawns it is fine.

Is buttercup really that much of a problem in a paddock? Plenty of it flowering in the organic farmers fields around here right now.

Reply to
Martin Brown

chem-lawn look!

+1

I have a lot of primroses and white violets in various places in my lawn, not to mention the clover that I encourage. It helps keep the lawn green in dry weather and also contributes nitrogen, so means I don't have to feed.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Sorry, but not really. Amonst my qualifications I do have a Dip. Agriculture, but I left the industry a long time ago, after contracting what I still believe to be Farmer's Lung, though my last and useless GP didn't agree. Thus anything I happen to remember, like the creeping buttercup and glyphosate (RoundUp), which in those days was a comparatively new spray, IIRC invented by Monsanto, is just a bonus.

ISTR that the broad-leaved weedkiller most widely used then was something called MCPA, but have no idea about now, as I've never bothered to spray any of my lawns - I've only used glyphosate to keep paths clear, etc.

I worked for a short while for an agricultural chemical company, and what I can tell you, which is only vaguely useful information and not what you asked, is that one agri-chemical, IIRC it was indeed MCPA, if spilt, has a gut-wrenchingly revolting stench, sort of a cross between sour milk, sour Guiness, rotting meat, and rotting fish. Most of the firm's vans stank of it. Fortunately, I wasn't one of the normal drivers, but occasionally would get detached from my normal work to deliver an emergency supply to a big customer ordering after the morning deadline for same day delivery, and paying extra for the privilege. If and when this misfortune occurred, you prayed you would get a newish van that hadn't had time to get smelly, but, of course, always got the oldest one that had just been returned after being away for repair, etc.

I remember do>

Reply to
Java Jive