Roof Tiles and Solar panels

The roofing is rather old and tired, might last a few years more but not many. Would it be best to have the roof re-tiled before having solar panels installed? I am hoping this does not morph into a solar panel argument, but I would not bet on it! :-) Residing on low ground in North Staffordshire
writes

"rather old and tired"
How can you expect anyone to give a sensible answer to such a subjective question, especially when they haven't seen it
get a man in

--
geoff

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 10:19:14 +0100, Moonraker wrote:

How long has it been up there and what is the covering?

Presumably you mean photovoltaic solar panels rather than thermal?
If you are think that the roof needs to be stripped and relaid look at the PV tiles you can get rather than the retro fit PV panels that fit over an existing roof surafce. You will probably have to find seperate roofer and PV companies to do the work and mediate between them on the spec/what/who/when needs to be done.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Are you wanting someone to say put an expensive new Solar installation over a rotten and failing roof? That would be just stupid
In article

He didn't say rotten and failing (=a life of 2 years or less), he said old and tired (= a life of possibly 10-20 years, in my estimate).
Presumably the OP is asking (1) will my roof timbers take the weight? And (2) if we decide to get re-roofed, how will the roofers cope with an installed array?
One useful answer in this thread would be to tell us how much a typical solar PV array weighs. I am guessing not all that much (compared to the 'thermal' [presumably = hot water] installation).
John

Schuco PS05 series panels weigh 18kg. The are about 1.5 square metres in area so 12kg per sq.m. Fairly typical of PV panels.
Evacuated tube solar thermal are about 17kg per sq.m., so not much more.

Thanks!
John
On 24/07/2011 10:19, Moonraker wrote:

Yes.