Roof tile identification ?

Hi all

last night, had a leak from the roof to the kitchen ... I went into the loft and found the cuplrit - a cracked roof tile. All I could see from the underside was "Stonewold" ... does this help anyone out there ID, or is it not that simple ? Our bungalow was built in the 1960's if that helps ....

SOrry it's not much to go on, but it was in a pig of a place too ....

Thanks in advance

Reply to
jethro_uk

Redland Stonewold. Google will give you a list of sources

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If you can see the tiles from inside the loft, it sound as if you've got a problem with the felt - which is potentially more serious than the odd cracked tile.

Reply to
Set Square

No felt under my tiles, and no problems with the roof :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

I had to rip the felt off to see where the water was coming from ... I've already been told I shouldn't have done it, but it was an executive decision, done in a cramped loft, in the nearly pitch black, with the mrs screaming blue murder as the water cascaded into the kitchen ...

As an aside, is it a bit job to replace the felt (about 1m x 1m) ?

thanks in advance

Reply to
jethro_uk

Erect scaffolding, strip tiles from area to be repaired ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ditto, which leads me to wonder what the felt is actually for,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Built in the 60's with no felt - I'm amazed!

Do your tiles look anything like

?

Reply to
Set Square

Built in about 1932 - is modern rain different from the old-fashioned stuff?

Session expired As you have been inactive for over 40 minutes you have been logged out of the site.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I fear that I confused you with the OP - whose house *was* built in the 60's (and who has subsequently confirmed that his house does - or *did*! - have felt.

I was brought up in a house which was built in the 30's - and that had no felt, but there was some sort of rendering under the slates to seal the gaps and keep the wet out. We never got water as such in the roofspace - but we did get snow!

Sorry - try

hope that it wraps ok!

Reply to
Set Square

Big enough! You'll neeed to remove the tiles and battens from an area bigger than the hole - and then fit the new felt in such a way that it overlaps in the right direction - in other words, the higher bits have to be over the top of the lower bits, never tucked under them (to keep the rain *outside* the roof-space, not channel it in! Then you have to refit the battens and tiles. As someone else has said, it sounds like a scaffolding job - whereas you could probably have replaced one tile using just a ladder.

Reply to
Set Square

and hope that it wraps ok!

I give up - that doesn't work either!

Go to

then click on Great Britain, then on Product Finder

Reply to
Set Square

I thought that might be the case :-)

Lime mortar - it's called "torching".

Reply to
Rob Morley

> and hope that it wraps ok!

And look for what?

Reply to
Rob Morley

If the water was cascading into the kitchen before you ripped the felt then it wasn't doing its job anyway, so you didn't make things any worse, if that's any consolation.

Erm... The top edge of the new felt must be slid *underneath* the bottom edge of the felt higher up the slope. The bottom edge has to be laid on top of the felt lower down the slope. In other words, just like the tiles themselves, otherwise water running down the felt will go between the layers. Maybe it was you who felted this roof the first time SetSquare? :o)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Stonewold - well that's what the OP said his tiles were called, so *he* will know that.

Actually, what's there in the (not very well behaved) drop-down list is Stonewold II - so I don't whether that's the right one or not.

Reply to
Set Square

So that's the higher bit over the lower bit

and so is that.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Please read what I *wrote* - not what you think I *might* have written, but didn't! Pay particular attention to "higher bits" and "lower bits". Hopefully will then realise that I'm not the prat you take me for!

Reply to
Set Square

Just done that myself. You also have to strip and replace the battens. The repair area could be up to a metre further out than the edges of the damaged area.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

OK, this is just a misunderstanding over what we mean by the word "bit". This could be due to where each of us lives, so don't let's fall out over it. I now see you meant a strip or a layer of felt, and if that's true then you were correct. I'm sorry I misunderstood.

To me, a "bit" means a part or a section of something larger, like the straight bit on a road or the quiet bit in a piece of music or "I've made you a bit angry". To me, "higher bit" meant the higher edge of the felt. I read your words over carefully, twice, and it honestly seemed to me you were saying that the higher edge of the new felt has to go above the lower edge of the old felt higher up.

Now you're the one misunderstanding. I never thought or implied that. Let's lighten up a bit.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor