Roof style

I have noticed a trend in my area for houses to have the end gable walls extending higher than the roof. In one development this led to problems of damp soaking into the capping and into the bedrooms. Tried a search on Google to see what this type of construction is called - no success. Reminds me of London where most terraced gouses have the party wall extending up through the roof line.
Any benefits?
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:38:21 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Not to me! This house was originally detached but was 'terraced' (one each side) in the 1930s, and that's effectively what they did, presumably to divide the roofs and incorporate chimneys.
It's a pain - the flashing is prone to failure where the extended wall meets the roof.
DerbyBorn wrote:

if it's a semi or terrace "party wall parapet", for a detached house maybe "gable parpets"?

fire isolation between neighbouring properties
On Monday, 18 September 2017 22:38:25 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

It acts as a fire stop
NT

only to lead flashing manufacturers .........
The small development my daughter moved into has that type roof. The develo per has already had to repair the vast majority of the roofs even before fi nishing the last houses. On her semi the gable walls are like that but acro ss the party wall the roof is continuous, inside the loft the party wall ha s only been brought up to one block above ceiling height the rest is simply divided off with sheets of foam.
Richard

Better hope she doesn't get any scum next door, then.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 43rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 19/09/2017 12:42, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I'd want to check that these "sheets of foam" met building regs - especially for fire safety. AIUI a party wall in the loft space doesn't need to meet the standards for sound insulation but does need to resist a fire like, say, a stud wall with plasterboard and sealant all round.
Subject to what others who know better have to offer, I'd have thought a polite question to the BCO might be in order. No need to mention mention Grenfell Tower unless there's no response within a reasonable time.
--
Robin
On 19/09/2017 12:42, Tricky Dicky wrote:

That should ring alarm bells. A fire in the neighbouring property could spread to her property through the loft space.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 19/09/2017 16:53, alan_m wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf
Summary
B3 – Internal Fire Spread (Structure)
This section deals with the actual structure of the building to ensure that its stability is maintained for a reasonable period in the event of a fire.
Party walls should be adequately constructed so as to prevent the spread of fire from one building to another.
The spread of unseen smoke and fire within concealed spaces also needs to be impeded.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Monday, 18 September 2017 22:38:25 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

In London with terrace houses it's to ensure fire can't spread through the roof space.
The other benefit is that the roof is very much more secure in windy situations.