roof finial extension?

I'm hoping some roofers will come to reslate some of my roof in the next few weeks. I have a photo showing the original roof with decorative finials (vertical posts going up from the ridge of the roof at an apex) and would like to recreate these - but havent the time.

was thinking of getting the professionals to fix it with half a finial and some sort of stub or bolt coming up so I can get finials carved in my own time.

I could get along the ridge and bolt a carved finial top on later.

Is there a metal bracket I can buy to attach to each half? perhaps something from fenceposts?

I was thinking of a bar going up behind the finial, but there must be a better solution?

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

They also decend below the barge boards. Is there decent sized ridge board? Think I'd get the roofers to finish the roof and barge boards "plain". Then make the finials with a half joint in the back to fit around the barge boards (top and bottom) then screw the finials right through the barge boards and into the ridge board.

Just fitting half a finial I'd have a stainless or brass double ended threaded rod fitted into the center and left projecting up. The upper half having suitable matching hole for the rod to screw into.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice