Reversing gutter runs

I was wondering if there was some kind of overspill into the troughs, though.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It would be a cunning solution to keeping them watered!

Reply to
Huge

There is the hint of a pipe elbow on the right hand side of the right one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The plants could be in pots.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

:) I put it on wiki.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Couldn't find it at first. Seems to be tagged just with [1] ??

Looking at the 'weird guttering' link, at my PPoE they had chain guttering on the Makerspace shed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

OP here: Indeed I did and I thought fairly clearly and unambiguously.

That's what I've failed apparently to comprehend.

I think I'm going for Bill Wright's dam solution. It doesn't have to be ultra-efficient. But as I understand it the upstream collection system ought be watertight to ensure when it is full the water will flow over the dam and not spill around the back of the house. If that's right I'm good to go, just need to start some testing.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Simply collect the rainfall from the rear of the roof. ie, fit a down spout at the lowest fall of the gutter where it turns to the side elevation.

It may be only half of what could be collected, (assuming only a small hip section of roof on the side elevation), but, maybe half the total catchment is fine?

And, as has already be stated, either run off from butt to ponds or, make the butt airtight so as unneeded rainwater will continue to the front of house? This would also mean an airtight down spout, too.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

I love that. I wish I had this in my collection of suggestions when I was roofing. I'd like to see what was used in the boxing to carry water?

Looking at the steep pitch of the roof and the narrow gutter; it seems heavy rain would take an alternative course? Does anyone else see a slightly washed out paving along the front of the house?

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

...and there is the answer to my previous question. I assumed the plants were being watered by the rain. Duh!

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

There is no turn.

Reply to
AnthonyL

You can hardly expect helpful answers fi you're vague about what you've got and equally vague about what you want.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Have you forgotten the original question?

Seems clear enough to me.

My solution which can be done at ground level, is to fit a rainwater diverter to the existing downpipe, then run a hosepipe from it to a water butt located at the rear. You aren't needing massive flows, so the small pipe should be OK.

I have seen one specifically designed for this use, but can't locate it right now.

As long as you get the levels right, the overflow will still go down your existing downpipe.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

No

It's thoroughly vague. Your guess could be right or wrong, who knows.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm guessing the bungalow is *end on* to the highway with a gable end to the rear and no gutter. As the OP says the rainwater ends up at the front for disposal.

A solution would be to collect water at the front with an overflow to drain. Cheap pond pump and buried hose to storage tank near garden.

The complications come from controlling the pump.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Chris seems to have a good handle on what I'm trying to do.

Straight gutter - drainpipe is at the front, I want to collect water at the back.

I think I have enough good ideas from folk who have grasped this but thanks for your interest.

Reply to
AnthonyL

precisely. If the OP had made things clear they would have got there much quicker.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr