Replacing GRP Electricity Wall Box

The external GRP box which houses my electricity meter has been damaged and I'd like to replace it. However, I can't see a way of doing this without disconnecting the electricity supply and dismantling the main cable connection. Since the main fuse is tagged by lead seals, I guess I need the electricity company's cooperation and/or permission to do this? Also, can anyone recommend a good source of replacement boxes? Thanks.

Reply to
Googler

You can pull the main fuse and disconnect the customer's end of the meter tails at the CU. You should *not* tamper with the connections (in or out) of the meter, or the service intake itself.

The box was probably put in before the electricity supply, so will need the electricity copmpany to do the work. It might be different if there's a separate door/front frame which is all that needs replacing.

I think you can get them in Jewsons or other big builders' merchants.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

GRP is perhaps one of the easiest things to fix - especially on something like this which has plenty of room and isn't safety critical.

Get a kit from the likes of Halfords.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depending on what is damaged you may be able to get away with a replacement door.

Either way, the equipment belongs to the electric co, and they should be the first port of call :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Try

(I have no personal experience)