Replacing copper HW tank.

Well the bodge artists are easy to dodge, install it yourself, then you know its done right!

The safety features on the cylinders don't need commissioning as such - beyond a quick twist of the test knobs to check they pass water to the tundish.

There is a valve assembly on the inlet that usually combines a strainer, pressure reduction valve, pressure relief valve, connection to the expansion vessel, and outlets to the cold feed on the cylinder and a balanced pressure cold feed available for use elsewhere. I suppose you could install it backwards, but it would probably just result in a system that does not work at all. The side mounted overtemp/pressure valve is a special fitting that nothing else is supposed to fit. So it would be difficult to omit it. I suppose you could connect it to a pipe and blank it off, but that would still in the grand scheme of things be less dangerous than say blanking off the vent on the vented cylinder.

The risk of a steam explosion does not exist with indirectly heated unvented cylinders - you need either immersion heaters, or an inappropriate connection to a solid fuel stove etc. (plus the defeat of all the interlocks).

You can bodge dangerous hot water systems of all types (and the dangers are not usually ones of explosion, but include leaking, flooding, scalding, breeding legionella, back contamination of the mains supply, and tanks falling through ceilings etc).

Reply to
John Rumm

No, I already had the shower pump plumbed in to the old cylinder. Even so I'd have said there was more plumbing and electrics with a vented system.

I will admit I gave the cylinder full priority when it needs heat (Is that W rather than Y plan? ICBA to look it up.

Reply to
newshound

Electrics about the same[1], plumbing; Vented has a feed from a cold cistern plus a vent (plus additional feeds to each shower ideally). Unvented does not need those - just a feed from the mains, but it does need a separate discharge pipe and then (short) connection to an expansion vessel.

[1] Some have an additional over temp stat that you can put into service as a backup backup system.

Yup, W is like Y plan but with a diversion valve rather than a mid position valve.

Reply to
John Rumm