replacement glass

A pigeon has just crashed into the window beside me and managed to fly off, the window is broken. It's a 46mm by 88mm pane set in a fixed metal casement with only 20mm rebate. Before I replace the glass I thought I'd just ask if there were any point in trying to replace with a double glazing unit, plainly there's not enough depth for a wide gapped unit nor for traditional putty fixing. Also I think double glazed units need to be able to "breathe" so they cannot be set in putty??

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Twenty+ years ago Magnet Joinery wooden frames used double glazed units where the inner pane was smaller than the outer so that they fitted into a standard frame. I've still got one in my utility room - don't know if this is still possible today though.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

To the OP: 46mm x 88mm ??? Do you mean cm?

They're called "stepped units" and a Google suggests that they are still available. Wouldn't work in a metal frame though - the larger pane goes on the outside and the spacer and smaller pane are on the room side.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yes a stepped unit would be OK if I could find one. I don't think it would look too bad intruding inside past the metal frame. I guess I need a sympathetic double glazing unit manufacturer.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Yes, my mistake 46cm by 88cm

That looks OK to me, the larger bit being fixed by putty and the smaller part intruding past the frame over the window sill, subject to the issue of "breathing" I could use a fillet of silicone to fair it in.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

That's a hellish small pane - under 2" x 3 1/2" in real money! Are you sure you don't mean cm rather than mm?

Reply to
Roger Mills

If you can't source a sealed double glazed unit it would be worth considering replacement with 4mm thick glass if the original was standard

3mm glass. It would be a bit stronger should any more pigeons decide to go kamikaze. You could probably claim on your buildings insurance.
Reply to
Codswallop

Were you intending to make the pigeon pay for it then?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman