Repairing a microwave

My microwave oven is probably 20+ years old (Panasonic). The turntable judders, stopping and starting. I wonder how easy this would be to repair. Is it like a turntable on a record deck? Is there a drive belt that stretches over time? Can you simply remove it and fit a new one? How would I measure the correct size?

Reply to
Scott

Most are gear driven from a motor. You may well find many models use the same little motor/gear unit, but the fixing holes can be different. Often the hardest bit is getting at it, and cleaning out all the crap to see if its just crap or whether the little nylon gears have their teeth worn or stripped off. As to whether its worth it of course is a whole other matter. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The motors often have a plastic gear that changes the direction of rotation, which goes brittle. However new motors seem expensive

might have one for your model. If you leave it on with and it has a clock replacement might be money saving. Old microwaves often had high standby current

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Thanks. Can I safely open it up to investigate (unplugged from the wall of course) or will it be difficult to reassemble?

Reply to
Scott

About half that price from eBay, I fitted one a couple of years ago, look under the microwave, it probably has "weak spots" ready for you to hack a hole in the bottom using tin snips/pliers, and then screw another motor in place.

There's not too many model numbers to match-up the old one

Reply to
Andy Burns

start by looking underneath, you probably won't have to go anywhere near the dangerous bits, just a couple of lucas spade connectors for 240V to the motor.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Juddery turntables on Panny microwaves seems to be a common complaint if you look at the reviews on Currys or JL's website.

Simply cleaning the three wheels on the turntable ring might improve matters.

Reply to
Andrew

The motor is a clock-works item. It has gears inside, to reduce the mains-frequency rotor rotation, to turntable speed.

The encapsulated motor usually has a geared end sticking out, but that does not drive the turntable directly. The turntable is glass, and they use a plastic piece for intermediary propulsion. This part "slips" under various conditions, such as if the turntable is not sitting squarely on the plastic piece.

Sometimes, it is the plastic piece which is worn out. The motor still rotates at a constant speed, but the plastic adapter is slipping, and not spinning the turntable.

This means, if you're buying parts online, you would buy both a motor and the plastic adapter, unless you knew for certain, which was at fault. Some people don't like to open the bottom cover on the microwave, unless they know they have the parts to finish the job.

The turntable bearing is a ring of plastic with three wheels. I had to fix one of those once (rather than buy a new one, the microwave was rather old). I fashioned a fairly thin end cap for one of the wheels, and that lasted for many more miles. But it wasn't really all that strong. The turntable ring fits into a runner area in the bottom of the microwaving volume, and goes round when the turntable rotates. When parts of it jam or a "tyre is flat", it will make noises and run out of its gentle groove. It's not often that you can fix one of those (rather than buying new).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

They use a small all in 1 geared motor with a plastic knob on top. The turntable rides on this knob and a 3 wheeled plastic ring. Juddering is caused by any of: tt not correctly positioned on wheels muck or rust where the wheels run less often, muck in the wheel 'bearings' The motors are universal, can normally use one from any dead nuke. And are replaced from the underside.

Reply to
Animal

Instant image of Chernobyl! Transport might be expensive, though.

Reply to
Davey

Worth looking.

Our first uWave - bought in about 1980 - lasted many years. The turntable was driven by a thick rubber belt. When it snapped, I replaced it with a large O ring which looked identical and cost 35p.

Reply to
Brian

Often the underside of the oven has a cover just for the motor and the motor can be removed from the bottom.

Motors are almost universal and spares are under £10.

Reply to
alan_m