Renovation of a thermal element

Like a lot of 1970s houses, mine has a wooden panel under the front window instead of brick. Unfortunately it is getting a bit rotten and I would like to replace it, probably with a uPVC panel of some sort but possibly wood.

In terms of building control, is this a complete thermal element (i.e. building control would be needed), or is it just part of the entire thermal element which comprises that side of the building, or is it a window despite containing no glass?

If I take it off I intend to upgrade the insulation anyway, might as well (any suggestions for the best type? It appears to be a sort of cavity wall but the inside panel is wood as well), but do I need to pay the Council an extra hundred quid for doing precisely nothing in this case?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

JFDI would be my approach!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

But just in case, do it on a Sunday :-)

Or in more words, the cladding is a simple skin so should not IMV be regarded as being a thermal element. Take off the cladding, rip out the inch of fibreglass that may or may not be behind it and duck as an open can of worms comes flying pass your ear, you are modifying a thermal element and someone will want to charge you to inspect it. Similar applies if you find a void and fill it with celotex, sooooo to avoid such difficulties, do the job quietly, on a Sunday and no-one will notice (unless you have one of the less helpful BCOs living nearby.)

Reply to
fred

Maybe a good application for papercrete

NT