Removing burnt on carbon from non-stick fryin g pan

We just wipe out any excess fat plus cooking detritus and leave it at that. They are supposed to be seasoned - protects the iron, plus helps with the cooking process and imparts flavour.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'm not a big nonstick fan, but the one used here for 18 months or so has nothing stuck on it. The secrets are:

  1. Never use metal on it. Not even gently.
  2. Don't run it hot enough to blacken things

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

AIUI, proper cooks don't consider that a pan is 'run in' until it has accumulated the usual layer of difficult-to-remove stuff. It's pointless (and time wasting) trying to restore it to the original condition, and you may cause damage if you do. I don't know about imparting (much) flavour, but anything left stuck inside will get sterilised when it is next used.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Heat pan with salt in it, Tablespoon to several tablespoons worth. Rub with wadded paper towel, kitchen roll, wadded newsprint. Use lots of paper, or a glove. Keep heating, stop just about when it smokes. Rinse etc.

Do NOT empty the hot salt into anything plastic or plastic-lined, but on newspaper or such. DAMHIK.

This will shift more carbon that other methods because of the combination of scouring and heat.

Oven cleaner -- will work, but not spectacularly well IME.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I'm assuming it's a similar situation to the oft held advice that you don't clean teapots.

Reply to
Jethro_uk