Removing a fan light.

A cranked blade[1] in a multimaster type tool will let you cut the putty away, and also to free the pane from any putty it was bedded on.

[1] This kind of thing:

John Rumm

But surely the putty needs to be removed in order to replace the glass - so isn't it worth trying to remove it with the glass in situ and then the glass might be left intact.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn

This is one of the cases where that is how you try the first time you ever do it.

But never again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's no hope of it coming out in one piece - unless it's bedded in silicone. Tape only delays removing the pieces. This thread seems to me to only achieve delaying the job.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

John, your problem is that there seems to be a slight lack of aggression in your life and too much constructive thinking. Why can't you be like the rest and just want to smash it with a brick?

Reply to
Richard

I'm not interested in removing it in one piece, as it will be scrap anyway. Just want to minimise any damage caused by falling glass. Which is why I asked this question.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We knew that from the start.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well if you want a more destructive option. Score into sections with a good glass cutter, then run a blowtorch along the score, followed by a can of freezer spray. That ought to shear out sections in more manageable chunks. One of those rubber suckers to pull the cut section free might help.

Reply to
John Rumm

Getting it out in one piece and carrying it down to the ground seems like a reasonable way of minimising the damage though.

Reply to
John Rumm

I covered both inside and out with old blankets. Taped up the window with parcel tape. Got a pal to stand guard ouside on the street. Smashed it outwards with a broom. Some shards still got as far as the street, about some 3 metres away.

One real snag is it's very awkward to get at. Interior door and steps to the outside don't allow a step ladder to be positioned in the ideal place.

And the old putty seems to made of the strongest type known to man.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

that's why getting it out in one piece doesn't happen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have a small original conservatory, which was in a bit of a state when I moved here. Managed to remove the vast majority of that glass intact - and re-used it. I made the new frames as close a match to the originals as possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Carbide rasp on a multimaster (et al) tends to deal with that...

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got a Bosch electric chisel which worked pretty well. Has a blade specifically for removing putty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The conclusion for those who haven't lost the will to live after watching TV over the last few days.

Job done and looks very look. Obviously, not painted yet as the putty has to dry.

Yet another time I don't understand glazier tollerances. It was 4mm wider at one end than the other, and having a number on it can only be fitted one way, and of course the frame ran out in the opposite direction. Add to that a clear border round the frosted part which had to be centralised in the frame, and what should have been an easy job took much longer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

glaziers seem to screw up a lot, why I don't know.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Use wallpaper glue and and glue newspaper to both sides of the glass. Allow glue to dry and use the hammer method.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks - but even I get a job done in a week or so. ;-)

The parcel tape method is probably easier, and you don't have to wait for paste to dry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)