Reflecting cold

Now that one I agree with. Even in Michigan, the first snow catches hundreds of motorists out, with subsequent involuntary trips to the repair shop.

Reply to
Davey

Yup, and nobody in Michigan uses winter tyres despite the fact they get months of sub-zero temperatures!

Reply to
Martin Bonner

True. I never did! My best drive was in heavy snow, from some town near Fraser, Ontario (NW of Guelph) back to Suburban Detroit, in 6 hours, for about 300 miles. The long country roads were empty, and as long as I kept driving smoothly, I was in control, just. I had to get back, there was a Burns Night party to go to!

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

(I *think* it's Walter Rohrl.)

Reply to
Huge

Yeah, but he was on an empty racetrack, I was on public roads, passing little old ladies hunched over their steering wheels!

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

times smaller than Tom's."

I've only ever heard jealous used in your first example in place of envious.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Oops. Severe typo?

Where did this sudden need to be warmer come from? The recommended temp= erature now is 21C, which I find uncomfortably warm unless I'm naked.

A more even air temperature perhaps.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Nonsense. How would this mass be transported?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

snip

I don't think it is particularly sudden. Just a gradual drift over the years driven by three factors.

The first is what is possible. Before central heating became the norm open coal fires were the popular heat source and a coal fire in an uninsulated and probably draughty room left the occupants feeling toasted on one side and freezing on the other. Rooms without fires were cold in winter. People of my generation will well remember ice on the inside of bedroom windows in winter when they were young.

The second and third factors are related. Most people are physically much less active these days and they also spend very little time out in the elements when the weather is less than ideal. Sitting around generates very little body heat and coming indoors after becoming acclimatised to cold conditions outside makes even a relatively cold house feel warm.

Part of the answer certainly but perhaps the fact that all of the furniture in the room is also more likely to be up to air temp with under floor heating than in a radiator warmed room also plays a part. However I can't see skirting radiators doing much at all in that direction.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Your first paragraph explains my point well. Five times less is easy to understand, five divide less sounds stupid and is not required anyway. The word less obviously means you are LOWERING the number. Five indicates by how much. Times does not have to mean multiply. It can mean the number of times you do something. I divide a piece of apple pie into 5 parts. I have created a part FIVE TIMES.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Would you care to construct a meaningful sentence linking 'five times' and 'pie' and meaning divided (or dividing) the pie into five equal portions.

Time like many words can have more than one meaning. My Collins dictionary actually lists 62 distinct meanings, most in the singular, but none implying divide.

The definition you are ignoring is:

17 (pl.) indicating a degree or amount calculated by multiplication with the number specified: ten times three is thirty; he earns four times as much as me."
Reply to
Roger Chapman

It is customary to then say what they ARE called.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

A "mother in law" can be made plural to "mother in law"s. Just add the s to the end of the entire unit.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

the end of the entire unit.

That would be "mothers-in-law".

Reply to
grimly4

The piece of pie I was given was five times smaller than the original I baked, which started an argument with my wife.

Any word can mean the opposite by adding words around it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

the end of the entire unit.

Who gives a shit? It's obvious what it means.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Anyone who isn't an ignoramus gives a shit. That doesn't include you, obviously.

Reply to
grimly4