Rechargeable batteries

Bollocks. I know for a fact I can still buy NiFe batteries for cold-start standby gensets.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

it could be that kit uses the restistance of standard cells to limit the current. removing this limit may cause more curretn to flow than the equipment was designed for.

So should adults.

Reply to
whisky-dave

IIRC only products that were genuinely dangerous (if misused) used to carry safety warnings. Now all manufacturers have "cried wolf" so much that people are more likely to ignore all warnings.

Reply to
Mark

I usually buy big packs of Maplin NiMH cells when they're on sale. How do you tell that the Aldidl ones are low-self-discharge --- are they labelled as such?

Also, do the LSD ones have higher internal resistance? (That might help with the short-circuit safety issues mentioned in this thread.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

The ones that are low self discharge are generally labelled ready to use low self discharge. You can spot informed geeks buying them up...

Not noticeably. Even a humble modern alkaline AA will source ~10A into a dead short so they are not exactly forgiving with ordinary thin wire.

Reply to
Martin Brown

As with all such things, I call it CMA - Cover My Arse (or Ass). The principle is to avoid litigation, not too protect the terminally stupid consumer.

Reply to
PeterC

Mine might well work with such, but I'd rather not risk it unless primary cells give up so soon that they're not feasible.

Reply to
PeterC

Great link, thank you

NT