reccomend a self levelling screed for concrete floor

I am in the process of redoing part of my kitchen / diner concrete floor.

It is incredibly uneven, so I am going to take away part of the old concrete floor and renew it. I believe it is past levelling with any screed. The previous owner must have laid it whilst drunk.

When I have done this, I will need to level it with screed.

Can anyone reccomend a self levelling floor compound that is easy to use and to obtain?

I have never done this before, so is it really self levelling if I just spread it as evenly as possible?

Steve.......

Reply to
dog-man

It isn't self levelling.

It is self smoothing though.

By best thought would be - if I did it again - to remove any scrappy stuff, and then get some thin battens - 1/4" maybe, and some bits of ply to pack it up with, and lay a grid of strips on the floor all dead level with a spirit level to true it up.

THEN use your compound, scarping it off thee strip tops with a piece of scrap batten. Float it even.

When set, remove battens and fill in the 'ditches'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unless you have a damp problem, you really don't need a latex screed, which is expensive and not that easy to use. I've used pre-mixed general purpose mortar with 4 water: 1 pva for this and it holds well at the edges. Getting the floor smooth is pretty straightforward with a length of timber. Getting it level is not so easy and can give you problems at doorways etc

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I did something like this using B&Q self levelling compound, which appeared to be a rebrand of the Evostick product.

I then laid 33cm square tiles.

Reply to
Michael Chare