re wiring light switch post

I note that my existing dimmer switch is not connected to an earth, it is the chrome type but that maybe chrome coated plastic. The new switch also has an earth point on the case chrome but again not sure if solid metal. In the back box there are two earth wires twisted together, should I take one of them and connect to the new light switch?

I suppose my question is, should the light switch be earthed.

Reply to
ss

ss wrote in news:VPbEy.1377911$ snipped-for-privacy@fx46.am:

Leave them as they are and make a new wire to go from the switch to the earth terminal.

If you separate them you will have destroyed the earth continuity. Imagine the two wires as a daisy chain.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Thanks derby born.

Reply to
ss

But ss did not say if either of the wires, hence both of them, is connected to the earth terminal on the back box, just that they were twisted together. Doing the suggested fix might only link the switch to the unearthed box.

Reply to
Davey

Why not just put the two twisted wires into the earth terminal of the switch?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Depending on the age of the installation you might also need to ascertain if these "earth" wires are actually a functional earth. The requirement to provide an earth at light fittings was introduced sometime in the 1960's, prior to this it was not uncommon to find installations where T&E cable was used for lighting circuits but without the "earth" wire being connected to anything.

Also note that just twisting the conductors together does not provide an adequate joint. You need to use a terminal block or Wago connector.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I've got some earth wires used for switched lives. They're handy :-)

Which putting it into the switch's terminal would do.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Surely you'd know by the weight if it was metal or plastic?

But if it has an earth terminal, means it should be earthed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - but in such installations, it was usual to just cut off the earth wire if TW&E was used. Why would a pro go to the extra effort of connecting it at one end if not at the other?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anyway, the OP said 1979, so this doesn't apply.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Update: The 2 twisted earth wires I wired in to a block and then connected an earth from the light switch cover to the block also.

Reply to
ss

YES. Amd after looking at your photo again I suggest that you check the other switches in your house - even the plastic ones.

It seems that the earth in the photo (and from what you have said) are not providing an earth to the metal backbox (an IEE requirement). If one switch is installed that way then there well be more.

Reply to
ARW

What does it say on the dimmer switch?

On the back of the switch at the top?

Reply to
ARW

I assume this is what you mean, it states. "Must be earthed"

And yes I will check the others over the course of the next few days covers & backboxes.

Reply to
ss

So do we need Sherlock Holmes or an electrician to work out the answer to "I suppose my question is, should the light switch be earthed."?

Reply to
ARW

I need both as I missed the obvious clue :-)

Reply to
ss

Looking forward to what has been done with the earths on the other switches in your house.

I am not sure why there are only two earth wires in the connector and not 3!

Reply to
ARW

Are you saying ss is a pikey?

Reply to
ARW

Adam, can you explain that please, although there is now 3 after I added one from the faceplate.

As for the other earths just done a quick count and I have 20 chrome types to check out between the kitchen and the lounge. Previous owner owned a lighting company, I wonder if he was an electrician? although I suspect some of this work was done to tart the place up prior to selling when he died and his wife got it done on the cheap.

Reply to
ss

If I had something to compare it with yes but for me a learning curve.

With hindsight then Yes.

Reply to
ss