Re: What screws and washers to use with WHB

[ fixing lavatory bowls and basins ]

> Tap washers are fine for inside the cistern, and under the WHB. > They are too 'in yer face' for the screws which hold the toilet > pan to the floor, which is where I need white or clear washers.

I use brass screws and lead flashing for washers. Make a hole in a small piece of flashing. Put the screw through it. Screw the pan down (not too tight!). Use a knife to trim the lead sheet. You end up with a flush screw head and "washer" that is an unobtrusive fixing. To fix the basin, locate the pedestal and basin first. Screw down the pedestal, not quite tight. Put 3 generous dobs of silicone sealant on the back of the basin, and a good bead around the top of the pedestal. Offer up the basin, hold it on the wall while allowing the pedestal to take the weight. Screw on the basin (helper to hold). Leave for silicone to cure, then trim around basin base/pedestal with single-edged razor blade. The silicone (oh - of appropriate colour!) at the back will not show unless you've put on far too much. Finish fixing, plumb in.

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Thanks guys - looks as though Wickes and B&Q are the places to go. Shame I don't have one in economic reach (15 miles each way to get a washer is expensive) :-)

I am going to try tap washers for concealed fixings and clear washers cut from a cheap sandwich box for the visible ones.

If this all goes pear (or other fruit of choice) shaped I will mosey out to the more remote stores.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts