Re: Water collecting in valley gutter

Having just been up on the roof for the first time using my new

> roofing ladder (see other thread!) I have just eyeballed the valley > gutter between two pitched roofs (it's invisible from the ground). > This is a flat area, about 14 ins by 8 foot, the open end of which > dumps rain water on to another pitched roof. > > I was concerned to see that the gutter slopes slightly, the 'wrong' > way, such that it was full of water to a depth of about half an inch > at the far end. So given that I have no leaks, should I worry? Is it > likely to cause damage having water there most of the time, rather > than just while it rains? > > Certainly, if it ain't broke, I ain't going to fix it, but I was > wondering whether it was worth the effort of trying to set up some > sort of wick, to draw up the water and dump it lower down, ie on the > lower pitched roof. Would it work? Is there any point? If so, > anyone got any bright ideas how I could do this, given that it's a > very inaccessible area and I don't want to be going up and down to > check it! >

Two experiences of valleys.

In one cause it sloped teh roght way, and still leaked very badly.

On my new house I have two very fierce valleys - with big slopes - but the issue is the people who leaded it carried the lead way up under the tiles and thatch that abutted it. What may be an issue for uou tho is that they only leaded it ion shor sectioons - about 2 meters, and then overlapped it =- app[erantly long runs camn tear in cold wetaher due to shrinkage.

If you have a tear, or indeed an overlap, on a long FLAT run, standing water is going to seep into the timbers.

8ft is probably on for a single length of lead, and if its been done properly, with no joins and carried well up, its not going to hurt in the slightest, if it has ANY joins or holes though, its asking for trubble.
Thanks > David >
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher