Re: Security Lighting

you'll find both mercury vapour and sodium lights both have an unacceptable warm up time for pir controlled lighting. so tungston and halogen have to be the way to go.

loz

Brief: > Wish to deter unwanted people from front of house and car in driveway > > Solution: > Halogen or MV PIR Light mounted in eves at front of Bungalow > Front garden 4-5 metres > > > Okay i've done a google and read the UK DIY faq. Not completely sure on what > sort of lighting to go for, i take it i have the choice of HPS or MV right? > And is MV the same as Halogen? > > We had some unwanted guests attempting to climb in next doors ground floor > window. And seeing as i have a reasonable car i want to deter these pikeys > from getting near my house or car. > My plan was to mount a PIR light at the top of my bungalow at the front (the > eves?) I suppose i need to use Halogen or MV as HPS takes a time to reach > full power? And i believe you can't power down/up quickly. Ive also read > about pointing the light out towards the front of the garden (semi dazzling > passers by!) (which is about 4-5metres). > > Anyone got any thoughts on my choices. I would like the light to blend in > during the day, so not interested in budgeting (Bnq etc), i don't want my > house to look like some prison camp. > > > > >
Reply to
LOZ34

In article , LOZ34 writes

I believe that a few low-powered lights on all night are more of a deterrent than the PIR floodlights. You can get some nice compact fluorescent outdoor fittings, probably cost less to run continuously than a 500W flood turning on every time someone's cat walks past.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Then don't fit PIR controlled lights. I've yet to see a PIR installation that didn't scream "PIR installation" at me. Usually because you can hear them click on and off and they actuate whenever anybody is in a tightly defined area then click off quickly afterwards. It doesn't take much thought to tiptoe around probing the area of coverage. And they are a really clear signal that the owners of the house are probably out.

Lights set to operate using a timer and a photocell work much better IMO. If they are coupled with some interior lights also on a timer then it's very difficult to tell if the house is occupied or not.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The simple answer is don't. PIR floodlights should be banned, especially facing a public road.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That could be fun. You're sat there watching a film and it gets to the part where the killer is about to be revealed, they draw back their mask and slowly turn round to reveal.....mother-in-law walking up the garden path.

Reply to
James Hart

Better solution, a few 9W low energy bulkhead lamps on a photocell. You don't need many, as they give out a good light and just a little light goes a long way outside at night.

PIR operated lights are good if you have a security guard on patrol. The lights going on will attract the attention of the guard from quite some distance away. However, as a deterrent, an evenly lit space, with no dark corners to hide in, is better.

If you put one bulkhead light each side of a ground floor window that is usually dark at night, it will also make it difficult for anyone outside to tell if they are being watched from the window. Another way, which I use in my garden, is to light the plants, so that anyone moving around the garden will be sillouetted against the light.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I have started fitting the 26W "eco-flood" lights for large gardens.About £7 a year to run on dusk till dawn.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Agree with all that's been said about the el cheapo 500 watt PIR halogens.

I removed ours which was fitted by the last owner (and made it impossible to drive into the garage without sunglasses!) and fitted two 11 watt florescent coach lamps. The light output is obviously lower but they are on a timer and maintain an adequate & welcoming light for less running costs than the flashing halogen. My neighbour asked me to fit some for her, and I've done the same around the back garden with 3 foot post lanterns from Wickes. These look superb in an otherwise pitch black garden and make the wife feel safer!

Reply to
Doctor D.

I found some very good value modern style post lights at Makro cash & carry. The 600mm version (max 11W) costing about £12, compared with about £30 for the identical lights from a retail lighting shop.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar