Re: new gas supply to 5 flats - Transco UKP5,000!!!

Hi Richard I live in one of 3 flats and about 3 or 4 years ago we had gas put in by Transco and I think they charged us about £650.00 total for the whole job, they moled the pipe under the tarmac drive and put up 3 outside meters and boxes, the run from the path by the road to the last meter is about 30 meters, sounds a bit on the pricey side but what else can you do!!!!!!!!!

Rich

Hi, > > in January 2001, I got a quote from Transco to supply a new pipe from > the street, and 5 supplies to 5 new meters off this pipe. The quote was > £2100. I didnt have the work done at the time. > > I now need the work done, and their current quote for exactly the same > job is £5200. > > The work involves digging a 16m trench from the pavement to the side of > my house. > > I am told that other Gas Transporters will provide competitive prices > for the job, but none seem interested in small jobs like this. In fact, > an Ofgem report I found suggested that the current situation was not > satisfactory. > > Has anyone had any experience of this type of work, and were you able to > find competitive quotes to get the price down. > > Or have Transco got a fabulous monopoly and got me by the b%$%^&*s. > > I have asked for a quote where I dig the part of the trench on my land, > but have been told that it would not reduce it by much. > > I have also asked British Gas to provide a price, but I would guess that > they use Transco for the work, and add on some extra profit, so am not > expecting a result here. > > Kind Regds > > -- > Richard Faulkner
Reply to
Rich

I suspect that they have you by the short and curlies, and know it.

Wonder if they're pricing up the job for one supply - new pipework + supply connection - and then simply multiplying the figure by 5.

In that case, it would be interesting to get the quote for supply of a single connection, and then enquiring separately about the cost for additional connections, given the starting circumstance where that single connection would be up and running.

In that way, and treating each connection separately, you might not appear to them to be a commercial developer, whatever the reality of the situation may be.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

This confusion of metre and meter is upsetting your metre.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Transco is not a public company. It is a private company which has to charge commercial rates for its services and is regulated by Ofgem in certain areas of its' work. As you say,other Public gas transporters can carry out this work (PGT's) so Transco do not have a monopoly on this situation.

We cannot just quantify the work required and/or technical difficulty of a job purely by the length of pipe from A to B. If they are charging that amount them maybe they have good reason to justify it. Perhaps you should make the flats all electric?.

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

In article , tarquinlinbin writes

???

How can the same job go from £2000 to £5000 in 2 yrs 7 months. Have wages gone up by 150%? have materials gone up by 150%? has the job changed? I know that the answers are No, No & No!!

Unless I can find another supplier and I cant easily, (having made several calls, it seems that they dont want a job this small), Transco have me by the short and curlies and they seem to know it.

I mentioned the Ofgem report which suggested that they are conscious of this, but it seems that it will take years of consultation and further reports before they are forced to force the issue.

Electric is not an option. A gas central heated flat has a big edge over an all electric one - and the systems are in.

Ultimately, if I have no choice, I will pay the price. I just cant get over the fact that we are sold the idea of a competitive market, regulated by Ofgem, and it is b$%%^&ks.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In article , IMM writes

Thanks for that.

I have actually asked them to quote for the minimum that has to be done by them, along with a spec. for the work that I can have carried out myself.

I wait with baited breath

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

So if the extra value for having gas is more than 1,000 per flat you are in profit.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

The poor guy sounds meteorically upset about being monkeyed about with the price of this metric supply. I might feel the same way mate, and might mention madly meting out some suitable, erm.... cant think of the word. :)

I'd consider asking for a price for just connecting one though, and not even mention the others till that one's done. Then go back for price 2. May or may not win though.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton